Anyone using a UPS with thier APEX?

Jimbo662

You would want to connect at a minimum your headunit, (potentially display), and router if you have one. You can also code such that the apex can sense the power going out and then will shut off non-essential outlets. In that case, you can connect your EB8 to the UPS and run maybe your circulation pumps as your apex emails you to tell you something is up :)

Yes, I believe I have the APC BX1500G UPS. I have plugged in to the backup side of it only the 12v AC adapter for the Apex, one of my Vortechs, and my access point. The rest of my system is plugged in to the non-backedup side for surge protection.

Wouldn't you want the 12v AC adapter for the Apex NOT plugged into the backup side? Isn't that what will notify the Apex that the power is out? I don't have one yet it's on my list, but it was my understanding that you plug the APEX power adapter to a NON-UPS outlet so when the power goes out the APEX can then know that and act on it per your programmed logic. Am I off on that?

The Apex head unit can get it's power from either the EB8 via the AquaBus or the AC adapter. Originally only the EB8 could be sensed for loss of power. Now both sources can be sensed. When power goes out, the Power condition on one source needs to be tested, but power needs to be provided via the second/backup source. It makes more sense to treat the AC adapter as the backup and test for EB8 power failure.

See "How do I setup my Apex to notify me of a power failure?" in the Comprehensive Reference Manual (page 119).

Next question is... who has the power adapter for sale? BRS does not seem to have it.

I have two EB8s now, so could I just have one plugged into a backed up outlet and the other not? And use logic from the second one (not on the UPS backup) and code my logic based on it? Saving me the cost of the adapter? I'll check out the entry you mentioned as well from the Comprehensive Reference Manual. Thanks Mitch!

• 3 weeks later...

Most UPS units are designed to be used on computers to give a user enough time to save any open documents and shut down their pc. They're not designed to keep anything up for an extended period of time although they will if the load is light.

On the battery backup side of it I've only got the apex head unit, modem, router and wireless adapter plugged in. This way if there is a power outage or something the apex will still be able to communicate any message to me.