Would you dose?

Wade

If your parameters if a mixed reef tank were dKH: 6.5, Ca: 415 and Mg: 1300 would you dose? I do 10% - 15% water changes every 10 - 14 days so they stay pretty constant. I'm thinking it's not worth the effort until my stock increases to the point that the alk and Ca are getting absorbed faster than the water changes replenish. Thoughts?

I agree with Ty. I run my tank around 7.0 dKH and everything is happy. I also I just happened to see all of Ty's incredible colonies last night and I believe he said he was running in the 6's. Just keep an eye on it if you have sps because they grow exponentially and you don't have much of a buffer at 6.5. If you have an ATO you can add some Kalk to your top-off water if you levels start to drop.

Thanks Richard! I generally run it at 8 dKh for the extra safety buffer but the downtime of switching the CaRX to the new tank really ate into the alk available in the new system. And with colonies the size of volleyballs, it doesn't take long to soak up all that alk!

Like Richard said, kalk in your top-off is a good idea after water changes can't keep up with it anymore.

Wade, Im going though the same thing you are. I have moved from weekly water changes to kalk in my ato to BRS alk/ca dosing. I have mostly sps's so as time goes on you will notice that regular water changes and kalk just wont cut it anymore. Then you can move dosing or even CA reactor.

But IMO Im thinking your current levels are good. At least for sps they hate alk swing so if your levels drop SLOWLY to a "low level" of 6 or 5ish they might not grow as fast but would still be ok. I keep mine at 7ish and 420.

Good luck and let me know if you ever want some sps test pieces.