Roof over aquarium

Manny

I have heard it over and over, "Dont leave your aquarium uncovered" but I never really got around to it. Well last night my true perc took the leap of death. I found him dead on the floor this morning. I do not have a canopy and will not be building one for this setup. So I wanted to ask you all what you guys are using to keep your aquarium covered. I would like to add something that won't look unappealing towards the tank. Any suggestions?

a simple piece of cut acrylic from HD does the job.

But, can affect precip and therfor temp variance.

BRS sells a cheap and effective screen kit, but I think it adds to the profile of the tank itself.

Depending on the tank's dimensions and light set-up you can also get a "standard" canopy at a LFS

I got a glass canopy. I just called a glass company and told them the dimensions and they cut me 2 pieces I ordered hinge from dr foster and smith. Mine combined is 60x30 and no flex. Reason I didn't want to do acrylic is cause it can bow or warp unless thick enough and I didn't like the way it looked on my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've built screens for both my 90g and my 230g. If you have trim at the top of your tank you can get the screen material in black to match, you can't see it from the side view and it slides easily out of the way. You can get the materials at home depot/lowes/walmart for about $30 (you need the adjustable kit that lets you cut it with hacksaw, screen, spline, and spline tool). You can get netting in the garden section, just ask for bird-net. They have various different sizes, I prefer the 1/4". You can get a little more rigid material from BRS if you don't mind waiting for shipping.

• Like 2

Kim made a screen for her tank with materials from Home Depot I believe and it looks nice. I have a rimless tank and I just make it so the water level is like an inch from the top so they gota get airborne lol

I've built screens for both my 90g and my 230g. If you have trim at the top of your tank you can get the screen material in black to match, you can't see it from the side view and it slides easily out of the way. You can get the materials at home depot/lowes/walmart for about $30 (you need the adjustable kit that lets you cut it with hacksaw, screen, spline, and spline tool). You can get netting in the garden section, just ask for bird-net. They have various different sizes, I prefer the 1/4". You can get a little more rigid material from BRS if you don't mind waiting for shipping.

This is definitely the way to go if you have trim on your tank.

I got the kit from BRS and it looks like a screen. Well, it would for someone more careful than I am (not quite square and needed a little whammering after I bent some pieces). I'm not trying to be disparaging, but it is really just a window screen with 1/4" mesh. I have mine on a rimless tank and just made it big enough to sit on the rim. I've never looked over at it and thought "yuck, what an ugly contraption". I made mine 1/2" short to let power cords go in.

I am getting a couple of rust spots on it. But I think those were in places that I damaged in construction (from the whammering). I'm also, not good at keeping it dry.

I think the screen is great, though. You can see through it easily, it doesn't get scuzzy like glass, and light goes through consistently (ie no scuz). If I want into the tank, I just slide it back up against the wall and I get 6" or so like a hinged lid. But it's also really easy to get the whole thing off.

With no additional factors (lights or cats needing to sit on the tank or a HOB filter that would be tricky to notch around) I'd use this on any tank I want covered.