Auto feeders and dry food recommendations

dshel1217

I use new life spectrum pellets. You can get them in many different sizes and with or without garlic. They are dense with protein and are pretty good about not fouling water quality.

For the autofeeder, I bought the Eheim one... seems to be the most highly rated one on most forums. I haven't tried it yet so can't add personal testimony.

• Like 1

Funny that you ask... I was just messing with my auto feeder. smile.png

I use an Eheim auto-feeder. Easy to program, works well, and has 1-4 feedings per day (8 if you want it to make two passes on each schedule).

I'm feeding Hikari Seaweed Extreme (small) in mine. My schedule is two cycles with the Hikari SE in the auto-feeder at 4:00 (it second cycles in 10 minutes). That gives my veggie guys their stuff. Then when I get home, or when I remember, I can feed the frozen and liquid stuff by hand.

One word of caution on the Eheim feeder..... Close the trap door down to the smallest opening possible or you will over feed BIG TIME unless you are using large sized food. Test your settings over a bucket or something and observe before you put it over your DT. I dumped a ton of food in a couple of times before I figured it out.

I bought the AquaChef before my last trip out of town. I bought it because it had good reviews and it was cheaper than the fancier models. I've used it with Formula One, Formula Two and Prime Reef pellets. I thought that it worked well. It dispensed the amount that I thought it would dispense. It wasn't hard to program and it has settings so you can program multiple feedings a day. For what I wanted, it worked out fine.

From what I've read, the main difference between Eheim and the AquaChef is that Eheim supports larger waffers and pellet foods. I've read the AquaChef clogs with the waffers. Of course that's for freshwater tanks and doesn't necessarily apply to us.

All I can say is test the heck out of one before using it on your tank. Definitely don't add one immediately before leaving town. I've lost tanks to them, on eheims, and won't risk it anymore. Spectrum all the way for dry food. When you use flakes or chip style food, the despensers seem to have a much harder time getting consistent proportions.

Also, if you have an Apex, they have one that integrates so you can program your feeding times.