Apex + dosing pumps vs Vertex Libra doser vs caRX + kalkwasser

ceastman

Thoughts on a Neptune Apex and some BRS dosing pumps versus a Vertex Libra doser. I am going to start getting corals and such in a couple of weeks but wanted to get the dosing equipment lined up.

I do have a calcium reactor and a kalkwasser that I have not setup. Would those be a better option since I already own them?

I was leaning towards dosing the Red Sea Foundation ABC but I am open to suggestions.

So use the carx to replace the majority of the elements and then possibly do the red sea foundation a,b or c as needed?

would I also use the kalkwasser also to try and keep the ph swings as low as possible?

maybe have a pump feed both the carx and kalkwasser reactor at the same time?

I don't know much here, so I am just going to stir the pot.

a Ca reactor is probably my biggest fear in this hobby. It's not the tech, it's the maint. I see the tank and the reactor, read about how hard it is to keep them dialed in, think about having to have it filled, all that media to mess with....and at the moment it keeps me from wanting too much SPS!

I will happily admit I am only dosing by hand, and the demands of my tank really are only difficult on MG... but adding another power bar and dosing 2 part is next on the list because I know it's right around the corner! at roughly 60 gallons, I won't need a reactor for this tank ever, BUT...how big can I go without needing one? (don't answer that, because I know there are too many variables for a correct answer)

Which leads me back to ceastman...IMHO and small amount of experience I still know that you won't know what you NEED until you get there. My <$.02 is to put dosers in place, run two part and measure the results carefully. The reactor is more powerfull, but from what I understand harder to dial in....especially in a "new" tank (new meaning calcium uptake is constantly changing as you add corals).

You can always add the reactor to the dosers and you will still use the dosers. If you don't like the reactor your out a lot of time, money, and effort, and still will need the dosers.

again, just my <$.02

I think what I will start with, since I already own a Nielsen reactor (kalkwasser) and a calcium reactor, is to get those setup, hook them up to an osmolator pump (probably one from tunze) and then have the pump controlled by the apex via the relay in the energy bar.

What is the minimum amount of time that an outlet can be on for?

I have a 225 that I started with Kalk. As my hard corals grew, I added dosing pumps but quickly outgrew them and switched to a Ca reactor. Based on my experience with all of these systems, if I was starting up a new 240g tank, I would invest in the Apex right away since its cheap insurance. I would abandon the Neilson reactor and just add Kalk to your top off water (assuming you have an auto-topoff). As a failsafe you can tell the Apex to shut off your ATO if there is a pH spike upward which would indicate a runaway topoff pump.

There will be a point where Kalk can't keep up then I would switch to the CA reactor. For me, setting up a CA reactor was daunting until I realized that my Apex with 2 pH monitors (1 in tank, 1 in CA reactor) and Co2 solenoid valve (controlled by the Apex) can do 95% of the work and practically eliminates the risks. The effluent is slightly acidic so I still dose with Kalk to keep the pH in the acceptable range.

BTW #1: none of this should be done without frequent testing of your Alk and Ca. Anytime I make an adjustment I test daily until I start to see stable results, then weekly. Starting out you'll probably find that minor water changes will actually keep up with your tanks demands.

BTW #2: Pumps coupled with an Apex works fantastic up to the point your tank demand is having you add gallons of 2 part to your tank every month. Pricey and IMO all those salts are not the best for your tanks health.

i've got no opinion on this but timfish posted this article the other day that i thought may be helpful for your dosing questions. it is pretty dense, but very thorough. many solutions to common and not common ca and alk issues. Chemistry And The Aquarium: Solving Calcium And Alkalinity Problems — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Short-term, you should be fine with water changes. Once your stock starts increasing (mainly towards SPS), CaRX is easier and cheaper in the long run. I've done hand dosing, peristaltic pumps with 2-part, and CaRX. CaRX is definitely my preferred choice with a SPS heavy tank.