Sea Cucumber

Grog

So, I have two in my system. I believe they are both 'Donkey Dung' cukes. One I see regularly and the other is much more stealthy. The one that is in the open does a great job on my DT sand bed but is growing huge.

How big do they get? This one is now about 4" long and 3/4" diameter.

Do they reproduce by splitting? I seem to recall reading this but wondering if it is accurate.

I can always tell where it has been by the trail of worm castings. LOL Cool critters to watch. Their mouth tendrils remind me of this from the old-school D&D game.smile.png

I have tiger tail that split in half, it went into hiding for a couple weeks, just before I had to tear down my tank to move. when I pulled all the rock I found two. they were about 3"-4" long. Im guessing when it split it was about 12" not stretching, 18" stretching out. one of my two seems to be growing faster than the other, its probably 8" now and the other is only 5". they are fun to watch and they do great on the sand and in the rocks.

I've never heard of Donkey Dung cukes. Funny thing about this hobby is that people just make up whatever names they want. I'm going to assume you're talking about the Hawaiian Edible (Holothuria Sp.). It's black and looks like a burrito, but can sometimes have some pink on them. They reach a max size of 12". Every tank at the Waikiki Aquarium has one roaming the sand.

As far as I know, no sea cucumber sold in the aquarium trade is said to get larger than 12".

Tonight, I did about 1/4 of the aquascaping that I need to do. I'm not happy with the shape of my tank right now. I don't think I'm using the space properly. So, I lifted a rock in the back and the stealthy cuke was there, looking very goth. White and black and emaciated. All it needed was some lace clothing to complete the look. I'm thinking, "Ok it crawled back here and died."

Honestly, I was shocked to see it. I hadn't seen it in months. Its at the bottom back of the tank so I get the tongs. I'm thinking "oh boy, gotta pull that before it rots and gets really bad...." I grab it with the tongs and try to remove it, and as I lift it out it pees a stream across the tank! wacko.png

Ok, so cool, it is alive. I put it front center and it is moving around behaving like the other one does.

I don't know if it couldn't figure out how to get out from behind the rock, or if it is just a couch-potato. Strange.... And no, I'm not going to seek a career in invertebrate behavioral psychology. Or, maybe I just need to blast morbid music more often in the living room. tongue.png

If they were volunteers on your live rock I would guess Aggassiz's Cucumber, 12" max length.

Not hitchhikers. Richard ships cukes with "The Package". They are in separate bags, intentional parts of the deal. That is how I acquired them. One is a beast and the other is sullen.