Curing rock

Jimbo662

It doesn't look like I'll be moving until at least mid Feb. I was wondering if it'll work for me to fill the tank part way and put all the rock in to start a cycle and get the rock seeded. I would run one of my MP40s for circulation. Or should I run the system with the sump too? This way when I get moved I don't have to wait until then to start from scratch.

James

The two reasons to get uncured rock are price and possible array of desirable hitchhikers. If you want to keep anything that comes with the rock, then I would add a skimmer to keep the ammonia below toxic levels. I would also add a lighting period if you want to keep any possible corals or macros that come with the rock.

I'd just toss all the rock in a brute trash can with a power head and a heater and throw it in the garage

When you move, pump all the water into 5 gal buckets, move all the rocks into the moving van while still in brute. Then when you get to the new place, put all the water back in the brute and continue to cycle.

I wouldn't use the same water, only because of the possibility of phosphates leeching out of the dry rock. 'Course, if you can test that water for phosphates - that'd probably be the better option before adding it.

I'd planned on adding a little food so it could breakdown and give the bacteria something to eat.

personally, i think adding a table shrimp works faster. of course, it may be that i don't add enough food to get it going.

last time i accidentally (ie - without thinking) used a boiled shrimp. i think that it slowed the process a bit.