6 weeks of Algal scrubbing

nvrEnuf

How does this scrubber work on eradicating bubble algae? I'm lucky enough to have a small crop growing from under a chalice frag that glued to my rock and the bubbles are pushing it out. My one emerald crab either hasn't located it or isn't interested.

• 2 weeks later...

How does this scrubber work on eradicating bubble algae? I'm lucky enough to have a small crop growing from under a chalice frag that glued to my rock and the bubbles are pushing it out. My one emerald crab either hasn't located it or isn't interested.

as an update:

I was remembering this post a day or two ago while looking at my tank. Though My two emeralds haven't gotten 100% of the bubble algae out of my tank. It was increasing prior to the ATS comming into maturity.

Today, I can only find 4 bubbles in my tank down from 15-20...can't say for sure why this is, but can say it was increasing at a significant rate before (could just be tank maturity).

I have a question about ATS in general. I know that a moving bed filter needs an air source for the aerobic bacteria. Does the ATS also need an air source? Wade mentions a bubble wand but does algae need that type of aeration?

nah, just my work schedule...

From what I understand the algae varries. It starts as one thing and end as another much like the bacterea in a tank cycling.

When I first started is was mainly brown; then red, then green, and now mostly green with some brown in the middle where the lights get a bit hot I guess.

I clean it when the "hair" extends from the bottom of the screen into the water more than a half nch or so.

I think most any micro algae will work. In following a thread on another forum, cynobacteria covered the ATS. The heavy hitters on that forum got out the microscopes and started discussing the different strains of cyno. Too much work for me. Also I do not think that the air bubbles are required. If enough nutrient rich, carbon dioxide rich water is supplied to ATS, it will grow.

• 5 months later...