GFO issues advice needed

dshel1217

Hi everyone,

I am in need of some advice. I recently started using gfo in my 75 tank and I have been using the bulk reef supply calculator to determine the amount needed. I have read that it is prefered to slowly add in the gfo so not to shock the system. I did not do this and some of my corals are upset so my question is....

should I reduce the amount of gfo now or just keep going with what I have?

Info

GFO used is the high capacity from BRS

estimating 60 gallons of water in the tank

Started using GFO 3 weeks ago

gfo in dual reactor from BRS

Thanks for your help and happy New Years.

GFO strips the water quickly if you've never used it before. At this point, I would remove some and leave whatever is recommended left in the reactor. I wouldn't change anything else at this point and just let your corals recover.

Changing GFO would usually result in base necrosis of some of my sps. I got so frustrated with it that I split my recommended amount amongst 3 reactors and change 1 every 10 days. The reactions are less frequent but still happening. Since I have the room in my sump I'm thinking about growing a large mass of chaeto algae for something a little more subtle to my system.

What was your phosphate levels before and after you changed your GFO?

GFO strips the water quickly if you've never used it before. At this point, I would remove some and leave whatever is recommended left in the reactor. I wouldn't change anything else at this point and just let your corals recover.

Thanks Im going to take some of it out today.

Changing GFO would usually result in base necrosis of some of my sps. I got so frustrated with it that I split my recommended amount amongst 3 reactors and change 1 every 10 days. The reactions are less frequent but still happening. Since I have the room in my sump I'm thinking about growing a large mass of chaeto algae for something a little more subtle to my system.

What was your phosphate levels before and after you changed your GFO?

i use a red sea pro and it tells me that it is 0 both before and after. I was using to get rid of my bubble algea which it did. Im going to keep using it for a while and see how it goes in the long term.