Plusrite MH bulbs

Leakytree

Has anyone had any experience with Plusrite 250w MH bulbs? I am currently running phoenix 14k 150w and I love the blue color. I have done some research and I have read that the 20k plusrites are almost as good for a fraction of the price. I have also seen a slew of other non-name brand bulbs, but no one can really tell me the difference between a $60 bulb and a $15. Does anyone have any thoughts or know of a good resource to read through?

I was running Reeflux for many years and then switched to the plusrites. Big cost savings and minimal difference in lighting. The Reeflux gave a slightly better color but not $40 worth of difference per bulb for me. I ran the 250 watt SE bulbs, 20k spectrum.

ive been running MH's since 2005. Plusrite bulbs give great growth but my coral color faded a bit. i have been using them for the last 2 years. i switched to LED's Weds.and i think my corals will start to pop a little more.

Plusrite seem to be the best out of the "noname" brands. I've ran them for a couple years, changing every 4 months with dual 250w DE MH and got good growth. You do need some sort of supplemental blue lighting though as they do run a little warm IMO.

I'm currently running Phoenix 14k bulbs and they have some pretty nice color. A little better blue than the plusrites for sure, but 4x the price? Nah. I got a super deal on them and only paid $44/ea shipped for 4 of them. Once I use these I will go back to PlusRite most likely.

Pretty much completely agree with oozarka on the color. I use a reefbrite blue tech LED strip for my supplemental lighting.

The 20K plusrite is comparable to many 12K - 14K brand name bulbs. If you want something more like a 20K ushio, xm, or phoenix, it's going to be tough without a lot of actinic or led lighting to blue everything up.

• 2 weeks later...

Reread this and realized I left out some information that may be useful to those interested.

With the 250 watt SE bulbs, 20k, the color was a crisp white with a hint of blue. Looked very 14k-ish. My brother ran the 150 watt DE versions, 20k, and it was more of a 10k color. More yellow and needed some blue supplementation.

So there are some variances between the bulb types that I noticed.

Plusrite seem to be the best out of the "noname" brands. I've ran them for a couple years, changing every 4 months with dual 250w DE MH and got good growth. You do need some sort of supplemental blue lighting though as they do run a little warm IMO.

I'm currently running Phoenix 14k bulbs and they have some pretty nice color. A little better blue than the plusrites for sure, but 4x the price? Nah. I got a super deal on them and only paid $44/ea shipped for 4 of them. Once I use these I will go back to PlusRite most likely.

4 months?!