Advice on having tank in wall

KimP

Have you decided on whether ot have the tank extend on both sides? Fundamentally I think a decision needs to be made about building a stand ontop of the wood floor or cutting out the wood floor so the stand is setting on the concrete slab. (This can be done quite accurately with a vibrating saw). I'm thinking the stand would be built out of 2x4 material with a 1x3 or 1x4 material of a stain grade lumber used for a fascia to match or contrast with the existing wood work in the house. Sooner or later the desision to change the wood flooring will probably be made and if the stand is build on top of it will make it a more difficult process. If the stand is build on the slab the facia and trim on the stand can be removed (and even changed out if desired) relatively easily.

Yes, I would definitely have a GFI outlet. I talked to the electrician that was here the other day and he said it'd be almost impossible to do a dedicated circuit without really tearing things up. The area the tank would sit is pretty much dead center of the house, under a second story.He'll be back in about a week and I'll have him see exactly what all is on that circuit. He sounded like there's no way a tank these days would need one with everything so energy efficient and with the leds, and in a newer house. I don't use a heater or chiller. Anyway, I don't know for certain that's correct but I hope so!

I'm glad to hear some confirmation on this being a fairly simple and straightforward project. I'm still contemplating tank sizes.

The other bonus is that if you have to do electrical work on that circuit, you're not leaving your tank off for an extended period of time. However, if the electrician says its a pain, you don't want to pay to ease his pain :)

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. The project is now a go, just looking at tank sizes vs cost. I'm leaning towards a 48"x30"x25". Basically set on that size, actually. Thanks for the advice everyone that suggested going wider and letting the tank stick out past the wall.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...