Chiller offline but reservoir water usage going up

Mlaw

Not sure what is happening but my top off water use has gone way up. Just a few months ago I was using the chiller to keep things around 77 and using about 5 gallons of RO for top off every week or so.

Since the temp outside has gone down I've rerouted away from the chiller and don't have it online anymore. Water temp is holding at around 77 but my top off water usage has doubled. I'm adding 5 gallons every 2-3 days now. The heaters are running pretty constantly to maintain temp. Could that have increased my evap?

other than not using the chiller I haven't made any other real changes.

I checked salinity using my cheap dohicky and it shows a little low. I don't have a refratometer (dang Santa!) so I'll run a sample up to RCA tomorrow and see what they say. My first thought was leak and if the salinity is dropping that would make sense, but I can't find one. My system is difficult to check so maybe it's hiding or is in a seam fairly high on the fuge. Any other ideas? Could this be normal and caused by heater use?

Kind of a hard question to answer. The tank is build into an exterior wall. Inside the house is about 74. Outside is outside and the area the tank is contained in is about 68 or so. I do have a fan blowing across the top of the display. Mostly to move air out of the wall than for evap but I'm sure it contributes. I tried turning it off but started getting a damp, oceany smell in the house that the wife didn't like.

What Grog said. I see as much or more evaporation with cold fronts that drop the outside temps below 32 as I do in the summer when AC is running 24/7. Also if your tank is warmer than the ambient temperature the heat loss fromn the tank to the surrounding air will take mosture with it. When AC is running in the summer the heat loss is typically going in the opposite dirrection (ambient air to water) if the system is using a chiller which reducess evaporation.

I see what you are saying and like it as it probably means I don't have a hidden leak in there somewhere but my tank doesn't get a lot of AC exposure. It's completely enclosed in the wall. Would that change things?