How to convert the 55 gallon food grade barrels for water station

fightinghippo

Got two of the 55 gallon barrels. But after buying realized the top won't come off totally. It just has two openings.

Does any one have the same barrels setup for RO and salt mixing? If so can u post some pics

Is there anyway to open the tops and still use them to cover the top

I am thinking of adding an outlet at the bottom of barrels so I can easily fill them in 5 gallon buckets. But not sure where I can find the spigots.

These are the pics of what I bought

ygypequd.jpg

I used a hole saw to make a third hole big enough to put my hand in so I could install a float valve, I made a cap with a larger piece of plastic stuck to the hole piece I removed but a flat rock or plate will work for keeping debris and bugs out of the barrel. I use a syphon but it's easy enough to put a bulkhead fitting in the bottom or side. (The curve is flat enough for a bulkhead fitting.) A piece of PVC with a fitting stuck to the end can be used to get the bulhead fitting in place in the bottom so you can get the nut on it from the outside.

Thx victoly and Tim.

Tim do u have any pictures of ur setup that u can share?

How did you get it clean? Just rinse it out with water or do I need to do anything special. The guy I bought it from said it was sweet tea concentrate that was in it. Just wanted to make sure that I do it right on cleaning instead of rushing to setup

Like Tim said just cut a large enough hole to get in then glue that piece you cut out to a piece of plywood so it won't fall in and your good to go. I ended up cutting the whole top off then realized another option would be to tip it on it's side and use it that way - just buy fittings to adapt the current holes...

I have a friend who did that with his setup - can get a pic of that tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...