Best laid plans.... how to move?

SChrisEV

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this, if not maybe a MOD can move it.

So my life has been a good bit... complicated over the last couple months. And very unfortunately that has meant bad things for my tank. I have lost all but one SPS coral due to my not being able to do acquitted maintenance to keep the water parameters correct. That actually started when I started KALK, but then my situation has made it worse. My softies, and LPS have all done okay, if not better, palys and zoas have actually doubled or tripled in size. That is a bit odd to me, but I guess they like a little "dirtier" water. All my fish, and my main inverts are alive and seems very well, so that is good.

However in the very near future, week(s), I will need to stress them all even more. I am selling my house, it is currently under contract, and I'm moving so the tank needs to move as well. I'm looking to the ARC community to pull from your experience on how to best move a medium/large tank, 92g. Not so much the tank, that part is muscle and finesse, but all the good stuff inside, starting with the live sand, live rock, coral, inverts and fish. Also as part of that plan, the best steps to put it all back together at the end destination. My move will not be a long one, I'm moving from Steiner Ranch (West Austin / 620 & 2222) to Pflugerville so that will be much easier than moving to another state or even hours away.

On a positive note, related to the tank, in the future, the purchasing committee will be narrowed down to.... just me. smile.png So I can blow all my money on my tank... OR... maybe it's time for a larger tank? smile.png I can always find the silver lining!

Anyway, I really would appropriate any input on the best way to do this, as detailed as you feel you can be!

Thanks in advance, and I plan soon to once again be more active on ARC!

How much of an overlap will you have between giving up your current residence and the new digs? Would you prefer a new/larger tank? If so, are you prepared to act (decide & buy) on it now? How permanent do you expect your new place to be?

Ideally set up a new larger tank with some water and rock already curing/cycling, then add your water and rock/fish/coral to the new tank. (It becomes basically a big water change but you keep your bio diversity with your old water.

Put in new substrate rather than recycling the old. - When you move around the old substrate, it's going to stir up all kinds of stuff.

Check out my moving thread. If you have to move the main tank, empty it's contents into travel containers, and house them inside your new place with a power head and heater until you get your tank moved. LPS, Softies, and Fish are pretty tolerant to a move. It's the SPS that are finicky. You should be fine!!!

Great questions. I will not have the budget for a larger tank right away, I'm noodling on finding a good place in the new house (I don't even have a new place yet) that will work, but not "THE" place. And then in a short time place a bigger tank in the final resting spot and them move stuff to it, then I'll decide what to do with the current tank. As far as overlap, as I mentioned I don't have a place yet, but I am looking to lease something as soon as I can. I need to be sure (or as sure as possible) that the sale of my house is going to go through, because I DON'T want to have rent and a mortgage for long, that would most definitely postpone any new larger tank plans! That said, I'm hoping to have a couple weeks overlap. It will be a lease, and probably for a year, after the first year, I'll either extend or decide to move again. I don't like moving but also don't like paying someone else's mortgage, so I might buy another home after the first year.

Edited by SChrisEV

Ideally set up a new larger tank with some water and rock already curing/cycling, then add your water and rock/fish/coral to the new tank. (It becomes basically a big water change but you keep your bio diversity with your old water.

Put in new substrate rather than recycling the old. - When you move around the old substrate, it's going to stir up all kinds of stuff.

Check out my moving thread. If you have to move the main tank, empty it's contents into travel containers, and house them inside your new place with a power head and heater until you get your tank moved. LPS, Softies, and Fish are pretty tolerant to a move. It's the SPS that are finicky. You should be fine!!!

Yeah :( given that I lost pretty much all my SPS. grrrr

I'm really sorry to hear this :( It'll be fun to set up a new tank though. I'm moving to another house too so I'll be watching this thread. I wish your tank was going to be available sooner. I've always wanted that tank and the stand is a work of art! Good luck with everything and I'm looking forward to seeing you around more.

It will all work out. I ended up breaking down my tank so I could repair the wall I cut open for the tank...ended up selling the tank, inhabitants and some of the equipment. I just got an offer on my house and crossing my fingers will close the end of Jan. I kept just enough equipment to be able to start up a new one pretty easily...just had to buy the tank, sump, lights and skimmer. Just gotta have PATIENCE!

James

Lots of buckets. Plan on a whole day, even if you get done in 5-6 hours your still going to want to take the rest of the day off. Plan out the whole process ahead of time and go over it with whoever is helping you. I always start filling buckets and very carefully to reduce getting the water murky place the colonies and rock in the buckets. The last 10 gallons or so will be pretty much mud so plane on a 10% 20% water change when you fill it back up.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input Timfish, I figure it would take the day. Is there a basic rule of thumb on how many fish I can put in a 5g bucket? I mean I don't have many fish I think 10, the largest is my yellow tang at about 4 to 5 inches. I think my biggest concern is heat and water movement in all the buckets. I assume that as long as the coral are not touching that a can have a pretty bug number in each container. I might use larger (wider) rubber-made find of containers as well.

Timfish you do tank maintenance as well right? Maybe you can PM me. I may be in need of your services before my move.

Thanks

I would go with a larger number of smaller containers when you move rather than fewer larger containers. You get worn out a lot less quickly moving 5g buckets than 50 gallon containers and you can separate things better. Tim makes it look easy, if he helps you I promise you will feel like an amature