GFO and Biopellets

Sascha D.

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if the link will work directly, but use the BRS calculator. it depends on your type of GFO

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator (looks like it wont have the numbers for you)

high capacity = 0.9 cups

granular = 1.8 cups

victoly did this for me once, so now you need to pay it forward and link it for the next person who asks :).

I've tried GFO, biopellets, then Zeovit. Settled on GFO and Carbon in BRS reactors. I found that changing out all of my GFO at once creates a dramatic dip in phosphate levels that my SPS hate so I now spread the recommended amount among three GFO reactors. That way I can change one reactor every couple of weeks and avoid the drama.

I noticed the same thing when I changed my media. I also noticed the media would tumble very well when first changed and then slow down as time went on until it didn't tumble at all. I couldn't run any more flow to the TLF reactor or all of the media would come out of the top. Do you also see a reduce rate of tumble as time goes on?

Yes, I like to run both carbon and GFO at the same time in my reactor (they are in separate chambers) so if one needs to be changed out sooner it is simple to do. The carbon is for water clarity like you describe...

I haven't run carbon in about a month. I don't see a difference in water clarity, smell or color yet. I may wait to see how long it takes.

Carbon absorbs complex chemical agents used as warfare between groups of corals. While LPS have powerful stinging tentacles, soft coral employ inhibiting agents to fight back. This is especially true of leathers and mushrooms. A small amount of carbon changed regularly is proactive in my opinion.

Patrick