How aggressive are Chalices?

Wade

razor blade through the foot worked for me. generally the rock is soft enough that you can cut the rock beneath the foot so that it is easily superglued elsewhere. if you have to cut flesh, you have to use rubber band or some other method to get it to attach naturally.

Any chalice has the ability to put out moderate to long sweepers. They are able to deliver a potent sting to any coral unable to defend itself. What determines the level of aggression could depend on the chalice itself but in my experience they can become aggressive when they "smell" a new coral in the vavinity. This can be controlled with water flow to protect the new coral, and in time the chalice will accept the new coral if they do not make contact.

In the case of existing corals growing too close one should monitor the potential aggressive coral closely, and at the first sign of aggession take steps to protect the harmless coral. You never really know with these guys, one day their fine and the next not so much. But I have corals growing on top of each other that seem to co-exist peacefully. Biggest problem I haver seen are muchrooms getting close to LPS. The bio warfare can be devastating.