Another bryopsis thread

KimP

This morning I found one of the turbo snails on it's back looking dead and the long spine urchin looking bad also. I poked the snail and he flinched so I turned him over and now he's gone, so I think I'm okay there. He must've fallen off the glass like Ty experienced. The urchin has dropped a couple spines but is now back to being on the glass. Interesting. I haven't started dosing today. I wonder if I should just do 500ppm today? I also added the foxface today from diver's den. You can't beat already quarantined fish :) Now I just need him to eat all the algae!

Kim, I have observed that the higher Mg concentration in general in the tank is what causes the snails to lose their ability to hold on sometimes and not so much the amount dosed per day. I have still not lost a snail yet even at 2200 ppm but they do lose their grip every once in awhile and need a little assistance flipping back over.

Kim, I have observed that the higher Mg concentration in general in the tank is what causes the snails to lose their ability to hold on sometimes and not so much the amount dosed per day. I have still not lost a snail yet even at 2200 ppm but they do lose their grip every once in awhile and need a little assistance flipping back over.

Okay, good to know, thanks!

post-1781-0-90953400-1385618034_thumb.jp

Good news, this bryopsis clump is about half gone today, yay! I'm planning on keeping the Mg at 1900 for a while, probably a month, until I'm ready to move the tank to the new house. Hopefully it continues to wither away and be eaten. Tonight I noticed more snails laying on their sides or back. The long spine urchin looks faded, I guess that's how to describe it. It's not as bright black as it used to be and has dropped a few spines. I hope it adjusts. That's about all that's happened. All the corals still look good!

Update for today: nitrate showed a possible 0.25 but the color change was so slight. The kit is old and I don't trust it so I'll get it tested at the lfs asap. The bryopsis clump is gone! There is a little bit of gha left (and cyano). I waited to dose today and after 24hrs the Mg was down to 1800. That seems like a lot for the tank to use up in a day. I dosed after testing tonight to bring it back up and I'll do the same tomorrow to see if the consumption is about the same. The corals are seriously exploding in growth, especially the chalices. It's very noticeable. The snails are still having trouble sticking and are sluggish but no losses yet that I've found. The long spine urchin appears the same.

post-1781-0-49013400-1385701611_thumb.jp

One last update. I lost one snail and the others are just laying around partly out of their shell but still alive. I found a mini brittle star in the same condition a bit ago. Also the big serpent star has a leg sticking out from his hidey hole. I poked it and I couldn't tell if it's alive, I ran out of time. Here in a while I'm going to see if it's alive for sure or pull it out. What an interesting reaction these creatures have had to the magnesium. Another interesting thing is my big clump of blue sympodium has gotten much more green than it had before. I'm not going to dose anymore and just keep testing the Mg levels, and watch how things go. Right now I'm still planning on holding off on water changes, but I'm ready to make some water up if needed.

Oh that's alright. I wish nothing had died, of course, but there was no way to know and I'm just glad there was any option for getting rid of the bryopsis. The snail I lost was at least 3 yrs old and the serpent star never seemed to make a good transition into my tank. I would guess this isn't the norm and these guys were on their way out already.

I have another update. I went to feed my dendros last night. I put some pellets in a piece of rigid airline tubing to spot feed them. For the first time in the 3 or so years I've kept dendros, the pellets didn't stick. Either that or the dendros didn't want to eat them. For whatever reason, the pellets sat on the tentacles for several moments and then the current blew them away. Weird. Also, I've lost all 3 of those old snails I've had forever but none of the many babies that live in the sump. I'm not sure what the name of that kind of snail is but they are all the same type. Also weird. The other thing that's changed with the rise in magnesium is the blue sympodium has a lot more bright green in it. It looks great! But I wonder if a blue coral that bleaches a little might end up looking like it has some bright green. It acts totally happy though.

Anyway, I wanted to post these observations in case anyone reads this thread and is planning on treating bryopsis this way. I'm going to start bringing the Mg down over the next couple of weeks so it'll be interesting to see what happens with the sympodium and especially the dendros. The best part is no bryopsis and hopefully it'll stay that way!