Another bryopsis thread

KimP

I have bryopsis taking hold on 2 rocks in my tank. They are easily removed so I'd like to just pull them out and treat them instead of dosing the whole tank with magnesium or something. What should I use? I was thinking freshwater and/or peroxide. One rock has zoas on it that I'd rather not kill. Ideas? And after treating can I just stick them back in after scrubbing and rinsing?

I like peroxide. It's worked well for me and has yet to kill a zoa. Some people do very strong treatments (1:1), but I do it where I have the rock submerged and then slowly add h202 until I see bubbling. I left mine in for 10 minutes or so, and then rinsed. You might manually remove (out of the tank) as much as you can and then do the peroxide.

Probably wouldn't hurt to overdose mg for a bit either just to play the numbers game (all of this is in addition to skimming heavy and feeding light until you have it under control)

Definitely peroxide for the primary method. You can also just use a spray bottle of undiluted peroxide after you take the rocks out if there's coral on the rock that you don't want to subject to H2O2 treatment.

The Mg method can get expensive in a large tank if you are planning on doing water changes at the same time. Make sure you use tech-m or a supplement that includes both MgSO4 and MgCl2. Normal Mg supplements won't have any effect on bryopsis unless they have both types of magnesium compounds and as far as I know tech-m is the only off the shelf one that does.

I ran a combination of Tech M and a foxface.

What I observed is none of my tangs and the foxface would touch the bryopsis but the minute I dosed the Tech M and saw the bryopsis start to get affected by it, the tangs and foxface went to town. My theory is the Tech M detoxified it and then my algae cleanup crew did its job of clearing my tank of it.

You got PM Kim.

I pulled the 2 rocks out. They got a freshwater bath and hit with peroxide. In the end I decided one rock was a lost cause and tossed it. Bummer because it was my most interesting rock, but on the other hand, for whatever reason, it's always been a major algae magnet. The zoas near the bryopsis got a peroxide bath. They're pretty mad but will hopefully recover soon.

JeeperTy was nice enough to drop off some Kent (thank you!) so I'll start on the mag dosing today.

Kim,

I'd increase about 100ppm per day. I'd imagine your current level of Mg is around 1300-1400 ppm. Just increase it to about 1800 ppm and see how the bryopsis is reacting. Typically, it will stop growing and then over a period 2-3 days will begin to turn clear. Remove what you can and I would maintain that 1800 ppm for about 2-3 weeks to be safe. Afterwards, just do a series of water changes until your Mg gets to a concentration that is closer to natural sea water.

I have left mine at 2100 ppm with no ill effect other than the some of my montis faded and some of my snails have problems hanging on to the glass while resting. I don't intend to keep it this high but since I am moving to a new tank, I'd thought I'd save the water changes for when I fill out the new tank. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. Remember to shake the bottle well before dispensing.

Today I am up to 1440. I started out around 1240 yesterday, increasing 100ppm per day. Problem is my test kit is maxed out at 1500... I need to work on a plan for that next. So far no changes.

Magnesium tested 1680ppm just now and I'm starting to see a difference. The bryopsis is starting to turn white. I've also noticed all of my corals look better than ever! Especially the chalices, I swear they've grown a noticeable amount in just a few days. I hope it keeps up as the level rises. I've been taking daily pictures of the one bryopsis clump I left in, but realized just now they're all blurry. You might be able to tell here that it's starting to turn white. Now that I know they're coming out blurry I'll be sure to get better ones.

• Like 1