cyano plm.

horns74

Any one can tell me how to kill this I've tried phos gaurd, Vaccum, its still coming back was told chemical clean. Dies the job but don't wanna lose my corals. As I've seenn heard of it killing off corals due to lots oxygen it uses :( pls help thanks

Chemiclean has always worked for me. How is your tank setup, are you running biopellets or dosing carbon or have a very high stocking load?

There have been basically 3 causes of cyano that I've experienced, outside of it being a normal phase in the first year of establishing a tank. While chemiclean might get rid of it, it's not treating the problem, just the symptom.

Poor water conditions caused by overstocking, overfeeding, lack of maintenance, or if you have bad rock or sand that's leaching a ton of PO4.

Incorrect NO3 to PO4 ratios. Would typically occur with use of biopellets or vodka or other carbon dosing without the ability to remove PO4.

Old or bad quality lightbulbs or inappropriate lighting schedule.

How old is your system? Cyano should be expected during the maturing process (not to be confused with cycling) and usually disappears on it's own.

On a somewhat separate note whenever I use chemiclean I do a large water change first trying to remove as much cyano as possible. Then I treat with chemiclean and do a 25% water change as specified. I've never had a problem with corals with this technique.

3 day complete blackout totally wiped it out for me...but that just freed up nutrients for something worse to bloom (dinoflagellates). Those were much harder to eradicate. Funny though. Few months ago I replaced a substantial percentage of my liverock with bleached, acid dipped, dried, then cycled rock and my 2 year old tank is going through the new tank algae phases. First was diatoms, now cyano. I run gfo and carbon and don't over feed. Difference is this time I'm not worried about it and know it'll pass. Don't panic it's just part of the process.

How old is your system? Cyano should be expected during the maturing process (not to be confused with cycling) and usually disappears on it's own.

On a somewhat separate note whenever I use chemiclean I do a large water change first trying to remove as much cyano as possible. Then I treat with chemiclean and do a 25% water change as specified. I've never had a problem with corals with this technique.

I did what Tim recommended above when I used Chemiclean on both my 180g and my Biocube29 and it worked great without adverse effects on my fish or coral. If you are worried about oxygen in the water, I would recommend running an air bubbler for the duration you have the Chemiclean in the system before your 25% water change at the end. I think this is more for your anxiety than really needed but it will definitely benefit the fish/corals as well.

• Like 1

Ty is correct..

But I know when I used Chemiclean my skimmer went nuts creating extra wet skimmate. It caused my collection cup to over bubble and the popping bubbles made a mess in my stand.. Just a word of caution if you choose to use the skimmer without a collection cup, find a way to prevent the splatter mess that I encountered...