Skimmer Pump Help

Stephen

Turns out my protein skimmer pump has been contaminating my tank .. On the rear there are some signs of rusting and it's all over my tankPosted ImagePosted Image. Should I buy a new pump or fix this one? I was thinking of coating the back with some sort of epoxy to seal it all in. Any thoughts on that? Or recommendations on a new skimmer pump for an euro reef octopus rs-180? Maybe go oversized? Not sure if you can do that or not. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Looks like the they offer a limited lifetime warranty on all their products. I'll see what they say on Monday. If it's not covered any thoughts on a replacement pump? Would an oversized pump produce better skimming?

After talking to Jeff over at Reef Dynamics according to him my options for a replacement pump through him would be another chinese version of the existing pump with few upgrades for $160 or an eheim "specifically modified for RS-180" for $360.. I've never had to buy a NW pump by itself before. Do these prices sound about right? I only paid $180 for the whole skimmer brand new.. Any thoughts?

Wow, $360 for a replacement pump seems very high given the cost of the skimmer. Are you open to just replacing the whole thing?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I really didn't want to spend much on this at all. He also mentioned that only the pumps he sells and modifies would fit this skimmer. I can't imagine that being true. What I am thinking is possibly trying to find a pump comparable in size as the Ehiem that he is suggesting for $360 or whatever and then making whatever modifications necessary to make it work. He also mentioned that this has happened to at least 2,000 other customers since '08.. Maybe I can find someone who has already dealt with this.