FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

I may have foiled our plans!

I got the SSR to switch on/off via the Apex cable as the corresponding LED on the SSR (and the volt meter confirm this).

The issue is the two red signal wires from the vent fan. I hadn't noticed this but the entire time, it was on high mode. Somehow, having both red wires on the SSR connected completes the circuit, irregardless of the activation from the Apex VDM cables. It can be on or off, either way, the red wires have a complete circuit and set the fan to high mode. Interesting.

A little more poking around and I've figure it out. Connecting the SSR to the junction box completed the circuit via the metal of the junction box. Somehow, the bottom of the SSR contacting the sheet metal of the junction box connects the two VAC terminals of the SSR. I will need to isolate the SSR from the junction box for this to work.

Unfortunately, it will have to be later because I need to run to a showing. To be continued...

Sent via Tapatalk

Jeeper you may need to consider a career change to engineering, you're getting the hang of it ...

Don't say the "E" word Jim!

Well, running down that train of thought and not being able to let things go. I removed the SSR from the sheet metal and totally isolated it. Then put the two red cables back in and it triggered "high mode" again. This is without any other cables attached but just the two red cables. I think I have a malfunctioning SSR! The two VAC terminals are not isolated.

To confirm this, I put it in-line with my MHs and before I could even put the 9-volt battery to activate the SSR to open the VAC connection, the MH light had already come on... despite the supposedly closed switch.

Bummer, I'll have to get a replacement. At least I'm not crazy...

Sent via Tapatalk

Isn't high mode what you expect from the fan if the two red wires are not connected (i.e. relay is 'open')? I thought connecting the two red wires would trigger low mode (i.e. relay is closed) ??

What does the fan do with the relay out of the picture, i.e. with the two red wires not conected what does it do, and then with the two red wires connected what does it do?

Ok, had it backwards in my head.

Is there any chance the SSR switches opposite of what you expect? That is, if no DC voltage is applied the two red wires are 'connected', but if DC voltage is applied the two red wires are 'disconnected'? Easy to test with the 9V battery ...

I did that on the off chance that maybe I bought an SSR wired the opposite of what I wanted, but I had the MH light on, and then touched the 9V battery to it, saw the LED light indicating that the switch has been activated via the 9V battery, and the MH light still stayed on.

Thanks for double-checking me on due process though Jim. Any other scenarios or potential test ideas are much appreciated.

Just for kicks, I held the battery to it and activated the SSR prior to turning it on and it did not inhibit the MH light from coming on... nor did it shut it off when I removed the light. I think it's safe to say I got a dud.

Sounds like a faulty relay to me at this point. The MH should have been off until you touched the 9V battery, assuming you wired it up like in the video I sent you. So, I agree with your assessment. Bummer!

Yeah, bummer sums it up perfectly. I'm working with their customer service while I wait for my clients to arrive. Looks like they'll be sending me a replacement and it'll come sometime next week. Vent fan experiment... delayed!

Well, when you don't have a vent fan to play with anymore, you got to do something with those idle hands!

Got all my panels for the stand and canopy primed and painted. 2 layers of primer inside, one layer of primer and two coats of white paint on the outside.

151b00ff304bc5f350a26cd026b729ad.jpg

Not sure if I want to do the work of installing the side panels with magnets (via drilling holes and gluing magnet in the hole) or just using velcro. I'm leaning to velcro honestly. The weight of the side panels will mostly be on the bottom since it's sitting on the ground so whatever is holding it to the stand/canopy will just be keeping it from tipping over.

• Like 1

Dry test fit. I'll work on actually attaching the sides and adding trim soon enough. I'll also work on blocking out any light bleed from the MHs.

d30f2548c2b2bfbd59a25684b6e299ff.jpg

Interesting that my chiller, clip on fans, and ceiling vent fan (on low setting) have kept the temperature from rocketing up. Another interesting observation is the CaRX effluent pH shot up right when I enclosed the stand and canopy.

Sometimes, there's a fun mystery to solve... like why my CaRX effluent pH shot up when I enclosed the tank... and then when you get to the actual reason, you realize... well... that wasn't as exciting as what I was hoping for.

I hit the knob for my regulator and lowered the PSI going out... I wish it was more exciting than that. Sorry to disappoint everyone.

Would have been real exciting to have found that out tomorrow.

Looking good Ty. I bet you can't wait until you can sit back and just be glad everything is done and enjoy watching your tank instead of working on it. Well, at least for the time being...

My Apex was in my ear the whole time yelling at me that the CO2 was too high. I don't think I could have tried to ignore it for that long! Lol!

Thanks Clay. I'm looking forward to that day too but if you know me well enough, that's the day I'll get bored with my tank and start gardening or playing ultimate frisbee.