FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

The following day we'll see a post in the livestock section trying to get rid of all the newly fragged sps!

My own blood and sweat went into fragging these corals! punk.gif

Yeah if that happened im afraid Ty's neighbors might issue a noise complaint

If that happened, I'd be selling some radioactive everythings! Who wants radioactive orange fungia plates? Radioactive blonde naso tang? Hulk green zoas?

Oh man, you guys sure are tempting me. Really, at minimum, 4 sturdy guys could lift it... its about 515 lbs off the tank weight calculator I ran. Remember, its 3/4" thick glass.

If some people have like 1-hr to spare maybe Saturday or Sunday morning, I think that would do it. The tank is already on furniture dollies and in the fish room already so it would be as quick as 1,2,3 and lift.

Then however long it takes to stare at it on the stand and do the standard tank talk time that automatically happens when you get a bunch of aquanerds in the same place at the same time. Maybe even take turns laying in the empty tank and take pictures...

How about I throw out a time, like Saturday at 10am? Would some guys (or ladies, I won't discriminate) be available to help me lift my tank onto the stand as an early Christmas present? :-)

Crap, Ty! I owe you like 50 tanks movings, I didn't see this post until now or I would have been over to help for sure. Sorry... hmm.png

Fan update?

Well, I can turn it on/off via the Apex... and that's about it. I have to get back up there with a volt meter to see what's going on. I suspect I wired the VDM cable wrong (using the wrong wires from the Cat5) and it's not triggering the solid state relay (SSR).

That'll have to be another night. The wife is done with me playing in the attic tonight and frankly, my imagination was getting to me in that dark attic, just two nights before Halloween! What's that noise? iiam.gif

Decided to mount the solid state relay on the junction box steel as a way for it to passively dissipate heat

53f0110814f0f83ad51115d42a78a848.jpg

1a22d5ef748760eff2d4db8caf9955e0.jpg

Added a little thermal silicon grease to help with the contact surface

f9fb2e7df68b62eec5e2d5d7ddb513a1.jpg

While I was feeling handy, decided to put together a Cat5 cable to use for the Apex VDM port to communicate with the SSR

990c662d0fcaeb56891b33451e165973.jpg

210f10d7ac75fe88688a9061a4037665.jpg

b43e409739b2d1ce087f6ca2b705256f.jpg

Final resting spot. I'll have to find a smaller gauge blade connector for the ethernet cable, for now I did the old hook loop method.

50ae09aad5737b87703abd81f0958562.jpg

Still have to troubleshoot the signal coming from the Apex. I'm thinking I didn't set the wires in the right order so my Apex line is not powered right now. I'll attack it again tomorrow night.

Fan update?

Well, I can turn it on/off via the Apex... and that's about it.

Well, that's a start! Are you able to use a 9 volt battery to switch the relay on with the fan connected on the load side? (like in the video, but using the fan instead of a lightbulb on the load side)

When troubleshooting the apex line, make sure you have positive and negative hooked up to the correct terminals on the SSR ....

Looking at page 60 in this manual could help. Ground would be 'negative', and 0-10vdc would be 'positive'. You should be able to put a voltmeter on the wires and confirm it

http://www.neptunesystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Comprehensive-Reference-Manual-v1_0.pdf

Thanks Jim! You read my mind. I was going to do the 9-volt battery test that you sent me a link to yesterday just to test the SSR side of things now that it's already hooked up to the fan.

I didn't think it would matter which cable I have used for the negative or positive but from your description, maybe it does. I'll give that a test too and just see if I have the wires switched on the SSR coming from the Apex.

BTW, for those jumping along for the ride, JimH and Victoly have been my secret mentors in the installation of this fan... helping me not screw it all up! The "brain trust" is much appreciated! thumbsup.gif

I always check polarity and that I'm using the right wires when I'm making VDM cables. It makes no sense they way they ordered it. They should have just used 1,2,3,4. But noooooo.

looks great ty! i wish there were wider applications here. You could could theoretically make another EB4 using your VDM ports if you didnt need VDMs :)

Yeah, when looking up how they wired the VDM ports, I thought someone must have been on something to configure it that way.

The thought occurred to me too... I was like, did I just make a 1-port EB8?

OMG I am getting totally lost in the TLAs ... LOL

(TLA = Three Letter Acronym)

• Like 2

That would actually be a really cool add on. an EB1!

I'm actually contemplating making one because my chiller pulls in 8 amps when it runs so it almost overloads my EB8 with other equipment on the load as well.

If I make an "EB1", I can isolate it's huge amperage draw to its own relay basically and still be able to control it. Hmmmm.....