FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

Lots of hvac companies like to boast about airflow and balanced systems. However it doesn't matter if the HVAC system is drawn and balanced with a computer program by a engineer they are still installed by the sub contractor that is willing to work for the cheapest dollars. All new systems still take a bit of balancing if you desire a truly balanced system. There are far more factors then just airflow that contribute to the temperature variations between rooms, such as windows and their solar heat gain coefficient and U rating.

Being that his system has already been installed and I would assume working satisfactory the move of one vent 3' outside of his canopy will have a negligible impact at the greatest. While I'm sure the loss of airflow could be quantified on a white board :) due to the increased resistance of the air velocity over 3' the loss of not having a vent in that area of the house would be substantial and easily proven as that room will feel hot.

By no means is my AC system a well oiled machine... my house was built in '76. Haha!

Jim was just making a joke about the whiteboards from earlier when a geologist and a scientist were reliving the days of working side-by-side with engineers.

Thanks for the heads up on the continuous run exhaust fan. Now I'll have to budget a little bit more money towards that... or maybe run a "get a fancy exhaust fan" fundraiser at the frag swap.

Sent via Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was thinking it's not the moving of the vent that could imbalance things, rather if it's new vent hardware and different diameter flex pipe and possibly introduction of a slight leak at the new splice then the new vent should be adjusted to match the adjustment of the old one, or at least checked. But maybe I am overthinking it ... That's what engineers do as Ty well knows LOL

• Like 1

Ty,

I know about the age of your system. :P

Again yes I know I can read sometimes. I just wanted to ruffle Jim's feathers :D

Jim,

Your not over thinking it. I'm sure you didn't calculate that the existing ducting is R-2 or at best R-4 insulated while the new vent will be R-6 or R-8 and the new bucket will be a R-4 while the existing bucket is likely not insulated at all. So the 3' addition will likely be the most efficient piece of his system. But don't forget to calculate that when the HVAC tech goes in his attic he will squish down the existing attic insulation and reduce its R value over the area that the new more efficient duct is going........

I expect to see a whiteboard drawing ASAP. :D

• Like 1

Wait, I thought he was a real estate agent, not a carpenter? :-)

2u5u6yqe.jpg

e6ehu6e2.jpg

6uqa7u7e.jpg

I really had no idea what I was doing but it's starting to come together into something that I might end up liking down the road. There's still a lot of painting and trim work to do but I like where it's going.

Sent via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wanted to post my par value results. I had to play with the height of the MHs until I found a comfortable height that would please the most light hungry SPS coral and not roast my zoas/LPS on the sandbed. I think I settled with these values.

e6yzasez.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk

Sweet Ty your rocks are Aggie maroon just like mine! Gig em, Ty.

Joking aside. That's impressive that your zoas and cyphastrea can tolerate such high light levels. That had to have taken some lengthy acclimation. Did it seem to take a while before they'd open up and spread?

• Like 1