FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

might as well pull the fish, sand, rock, silicone and glass out of your tank while you are at it

Do they sell clear plasti-dip? Maybe I can just dip everything in it to preserve everything and that way I won't ever get any pests.

I found the perfect solution for you Ty.

f3df814325f8edbc8c7e952c1a973769.jpg

And look! You can even have a disease proof 'Dory fish' without ruining the reefs!

326143970697fd93b3783d7c520799b9.jpg

Who would have known having a beautiful and resilient aquarium could be so cheap and easy. Leave it to Ty to make things difficult...

Edited by Gig 'em

I found the perfect solution for you Ty.

f3df814325f8edbc8c7e952c1a973769.jpg

And look! You can even have a disease proof 'Dory fish' without ruining the reefs!

326143970697fd93b3783d7c520799b9.jpg

Who would have known having a beautiful and resilient aquarium could be so cheap and easy. Leave it to Ty to make things difficult...

Do you think the color will fade if I QT them for 76 days?

I swapped out some phosphate bound rock from my frag tank this morning for my newly cycled dry rock I bought a couple weeks ago. I'll give it a week and then swap the other half and hopefully my phosphate woes in the frag tank will be over soon.

0a9f0a38e1653573fb15389aad5f1cc7.jpg

Oh man, I just looked at a calendar and realized that my fish get to go back into the tank in 3 weeks! [emoji3]

Lucky you...I hate looking at a fishless tank...I have 7 weeks. sad.png
If you aren't keeping an achilles or PBT, I say toss everyone back in. Unless you just want to go full ich-free from now on. Good, healthy fish will get over ich readily. Honestly, if I wasn't trying to keep both and also keep a large fish population, I wouldn't even bother with ich free.

Oh man, I just looked at a calendar and realized that my fish get to go back into the tank in 3 weeks! [emoji3]

If you aren't keeping an achilles or PBT, I say toss everyone back in. Unless you just want to go full ich-free from now on. Good, healthy fish will get over ich readily. Honestly, if I wasn't trying to keep both and also keep a large fish population, I wouldn't even bother with ich free.

Oh dare you temp me!!!!

• Like 2

Oh dare you temp me!!!!

That's all I do sir!

Oh dare you temp me!!!!

That's all I do sir!

You trying to get everybody to assimilate to the FarmerTy methods?

Oh dare you temp me!!!!

That's all I do sir!

I thought about that the other day. I was like... I don't think I know one person that runs their system like mine and doesn't do water changes either. I guess everyone realizes you have to be a little crazy to do it.

Oh dare you temp me!!!!

That's all I do sir!

DO IT!

Oh dare you temp me!!!!

That's all I do sir!

DO IT!

Is this what they call "peer pressure"??????

• Like 1

Ty, from what u said today the (fancy name for ich) can be in/on the substrate and rock dormant for awhile... Have you been agitating the sand to make sure they all get into the sterilizer? Is that even necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ty, from what u said today the (fancy name for ich) can be in/on the substrate and rock dormant for awhile... Have you been agitating the sand to make sure they all get into the sterilizer? Is that even necessary?

Hey Christy,

A graphic would probably be more helpful in this explanation since I tend to get wordy and babble.

125e9c62c297b624256ae8fa924ae3e7.jpg

No stirring needed as it would not be beneficial. The UV sterilizer will only be effective on the theront and free swimming trophont stages. It is not effective against the encysted tomont stage or attached trophont stage.

Technically, the tomont stage can be dormant for up to 72 days in one study, though they believe that was due to the colder temperatures of the study. Otherwise, 35 days was the max of all the other studies.

a2a435dc5d79c87ecb3e0f185c86d5d6.jpg

So, yes, a tomont can be attached to a coral, snail, or anything else you bring into the tank and technically "hatch" up to 35 days... or if you want to be safe... 72 days later (If you believe that their study wasn't a fluke from the cold water and that there are truly ich variants that can encyst for that long). [emoji53]

But if u have invertebrates stirring up your sand and tomonts (trophont?) are on top, then in veritably they also will be stirred under. Not trying to be argumentative... Jst curious

But if u have invertebrates stirring up your sand and tomonts (trophont?) are on top, then in veritably they also will be stirred under. Not trying to be argumentative... Jst curious

That is a possibility but that's also assuming they don't form encysted tomonts on the rocks (which is their more preferable substrate if I understand correctly). Even just one tomont "hatches" and hundreds of new ich theronts will be looking to infect your fish for the next generation.

Ideally, you may make some impact stirring the stand but I don't see it as a viable alternative to quell ich populations in a tank.

[emoji37]. I have a "dory", but think I'll steer clear of anymore fish susceptible to ich.....

Luckily in a healthy environment, Dory tends to get over the ich. It's the achilles and powder blue tang in my opinion that rarely get over ich and then take the tank down with it.

• Like 1