FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

Ty, what happens w/ your CUC while the fish are in QT? I've been tossing in 1/4 of Spirulina Brine every couple of days just to make sure they have something to eat.

What CUC do you have? I only have conchs, snails, and urchins so I just toss some algae pellets from NLS in there on occasion. I was going to also start using the algae feeder contraption that sandwiches the nori and suction cup it to the bottom for the snails to snack on as well.

FWIW, unless you have crabs, I would stop feeding spirulina brine.

I have 4-6 emerald crabs, a big brittle star, sea hare, big conch, shortspine urchin, 3 big (1.5") nassarius snails, couple of decent size trochus snails and a dozen or so tiny nassarius snails. The big nassarius have all been super inactive the last couple of weeks, which is way out of their character. The brittle star, sea hare and urchin are all roaming around places they don't usually and I feel like they are hungry, looking for food they'd usually be getting from fish feeding.

Potassium nitrate? Dude you have two bottles of AcroPower! If you don't want them I'll take them, I've already worked my way through most of a bottle.

I'm using it too, though for aminos. My tank has no nitrates still so that's why I'm dosing.

They're losing color even with the amino supplements? Maybe you're just not dosing enough for your population density?

That is very likely but I'm not 100% sure the impact of aminos on coloration of SPS.

Do you have any easily removable rocks you can transfer from the DT to the QT to supplement feeding? The sea hare is going to be tricky.

The CUC is in the DT, not the QT.
Sorry, read that wrong.

Yeah, I try to feed pellets because they sink and easier to grab for the CUC.

• Like 1

I think aminos provide corals with a good deal of what they need. Here's a quote from an advanced aquarist article: "It has been found that amino acid uptake can be a significant source of nitrogen. For Stylophora pistillata, amino acids can account for 21% of the nitrogen uptake (Grover et al. 2008), although this will vary under different environmental conditions"

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/3/corals

I think amino acids in addition to suspended nutrients in the water is enough food for corals in order to get their necessary biological building blocks. Having fish pooping in the water is probably the best way to do this.

Anyway, I would dose amino acids as my primary source over nitrates.

Nice, I'm sure I read that at one point but the fact that aminos supply nitrogen stick in my head. Thanks for pointing that out.

I like the idea of doing both. Keeping a reasonable nitrate level in the tank and also dosing aminos. That's what I've been doing for awhile and I like the results. I think they are just really missing the fish poop these days as well. grin.png

Yeah I imagine your corals are missing a large portion of their diet without the fish poo. Amino acids are good, but they aren't a fully balanced meal for them. I think amino acids are great if you have high density populations of corals as it helps "fill in the holes" of their diets when they don't get as much food.

• Like 1

Yeah I imagine your corals are missing a large portion of their diet without the fish poo. Amino acids are good, but they aren't a fully balanced meal for them. I think amino acids are great if you have high density populations of corals as it helps "fill in the holes" of their diets when they don't get as much food.

I'm going to start throwing my dog's poop in the tank for the interim. Gotta have pretty SPS corals... don't mind the smell! It's worth it! [emoji50]
  • Like 1

Sump is officially dark! Well, here's a picture of it lit but from now on, no more light down there!

493026754c0e4c656951ef37426c1bbe.jpg

Also, looks like the conditions in a plastic tub, right by a heater, with the water quality hovering around 60 ppm nitrates and 0.2 ppm of phosphates is ideal for the next generation of clowns.

3205a8fcc7609aa9b8ec412a3ff63272.jpg

• Like 3

If an amphipod was introduced into your tank, what else could have been introduced?!? Pyramid snails? Acro bugs? SEA SPIDERS?!? Bomb it all Ty before it's too late!!! [emoji95]

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

If an amphipod was introduced into your tank, what else could have been introduced?!? Pyramid snails? Acro bugs? SEA SPIDERS?!? Bomb it all Ty before it's too late!!! [emoji95]

Don't forget red AND black bugs

Don't forget red AND black bugs
I'm pulling all my corals again and putting them through the FarmerTy Triple Dip!