FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

That's the best I've ever seen your tank. Awesome job bro!

Are you doing a stand alone frag tank?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Haha, littered with colonies all over the sandbed? I guess the owner is always the most critical on themselves. [emoji4] Thanks for the compliment.

Yeah, frag tank has been separated and moved to the office. It's been an adventure with that one so far but it finally seems to be stabilizing.

Haha, littered with colonies all over the sandbed? I guess the owner is always the most critical on themselves. [emoji4] Thanks for the compliment.

Yeah, frag tank has been separated and moved to the office. It's been an adventure with that one so far but it finally seems to be stabilizing.

Successful people will always see room for improvement. I think it has something to do with ambition, but it could also be a mental disorder. Any psychologists here? J/k, everyone knows psychologists stay away from real science. The bottom line is that most new hobbyists pick up their first book because they see an awesome tank. Almost none of them will achieve what you already have because they will either quit, move, upgrade or sabotage themselves in one way or another. Don't believe me? I did three of those things just last year and you helped two of them. The sabotaging I did all by myself.

• Like 1

Tanks does look great Ty. And no bothersome fish to ruin the coralscape. smile.png

Thanks bud. You might want to take that idea and run with it for your new tank. No more fish picture bombs!!!

That frag tank is looking overcrowded let me know if you need some help clearing out some space

Haha. It is a tad overcrowded. I just need to get over my hoarder tendencies. I'll probably get around to posting some stuff soon once everything colors up nicely in that frag tank now that it has stabilized.

Successful people will always see room for improvement. I think it has something to do with ambition, but it could also be a mental disorder. Any psychologists here? J/k, everyone knows psychologists stay away from real science. The bottom line is that most new hobbyists pick up their first book because they see an awesome tank. Almost none of them will achieve what you already have because they will either quit, move, upgrade or sabotage themselves in one way or another. Don't believe me? I did three of those things just last year and you helped two of them. The sabotaging I did all by myself.

I'm pretty sure my wife has said at least more than once that I may have a disorder. She's a speech therapist so she may have some insight as they see plenty of disorders as well that impact speech.

The sabotaging... how did that make you feel Sascha? whistle.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Always an adventure!

My GFO reactor decided it needed to clog up on me yet again so I decided to push more flow through it temporarily to blast any blockage out. Well leave it up to me to forget about it and let it go full blast for an entire day.

4d9d1aa3e099cae5ebf195a1233f02f0.jpg

Got some 10 micron socks right now on the drains zip tied in place to pull out all the fine dust.

bc994804dd293322dac31b3a5c2e3d7f.jpg

No issues with the inhabitants of the tank but it sure is ugly, cloudy right now. [emoji53]

It's really the reactor that's causing the problems sadly. I'll probably just get a new one.

Clumping is not the issue for this one, it's the restriction of flow with the way I modded the reactor. When I bump up the flow, it starts to tumble again and never clumped while sitting there.

All clear as of last night! The socks did the job to remove all that GFO dust that got loose.

88eee8c544b6e2177aef0196993e22d6.jpg

I'm anxious to get the fish and my replacement batch of CUC in the tank. After the 3 clogging episodes of GFO and the resulting dusting of GFO powder, the algae has gone nuts in the tank.

Once the fish and CUC are back in the tank, they'll mow it all down in a week easily. Until then, the urchins in the tank are doing the best they can to keep up.

On the frag tank, still battling phosphates but at least my alk is stable now. There's a constant up and down with the continued leaching from the rocks but I seem to have dialed in the right amount of GFO now to counter the leaching without stripping it too much. I went too heavy last week with GFO and caused a mass STN event. I lost some frags but most seem to be recovering now. The joys of a 2nd tank... [emoji53]

So what's the update on the tank back? I do love the clear background but I'm curious as to the new color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank background has been moved to the lowest priority but I'm still looking to have a printing company print that light blue to dark blue gradient as the backdrop.

And your issues with GFO are the reason I hate messing with that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First issues I've really had with GFO since I started using it 5 years ago. It's 100% the reactor so I'll order a new reactor and retire the little cheap modified TLF reactor I've been using for 5 years now. I think I got my money's worth out of it. [emoji4]

• 2 weeks later...

Status check:

Tub of fish - check, everybody still healthy and happy. I'm sure the nitrates are at 80 ppm and the phosphates are at 0.2 ppm but everyone is happy enough for me to not change the water and continue my lazy ways.

Frag tank - check, everything is finally starting to look happy again after I've wrestled control of the up/down swings of the phosphate level with that stupid phosphate bound rock I used like an idiot. Either way, I will be replacing the rock with some newly cycled rock I have been cooking since last Friday. I'll give it another week and then I'll make the swap. Then I'll hit the phosphate saturated rock with some lanthanum chloride for as long as needed to remove all the phosphate and repurpose it for something else.

Display tank - same ole same ole. Still haven't gotten around to installing the UV sterilizer. I still haven't glued up all the colonies to empty the sandbed. Still haven't gone dark with the sump to kill off all the wayward algae growing down in there. I dosed potassium nitrate the other day to 4 ppm since my nitrates have been at zero for the last 3 weeks and it's starting to cause my SPS colors to fade. 4 ppm seems to last me about 3 days until it gets back down to zero again. I'll just keep dosing it up for another 4 weeks until my fish can go back in the tank and take back over their nitrate causing ways.