FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

It was only a matter of time before Charlie Sheen made it into this mess of a build thread!

Well, I just realized with my stocking levels that there was no way I was going to keep an epidemic out of my tank. Maybe if I had 10 fish but not 20+... And my name is not Juiceman so it wasn't going to work for me.

Now at least that means I can get that powder blue! Second chances... Here I come!

• Like 1

I employ all kinds of tricks to snag the fish.

The trap will catch the most aggressive eaters easily after usually only a day or two of feeding the tank only through the trap. What I usually do is not catch those fish first but wait for the more reclusive fish to start trusting it and catch them first. They get emboldened by the more aggressive fish so i grab them first. Most of the fish have terrible memories too so I've been able to literally catch fish, remove the trap, put the trap back in, and the next victims swim right back into it like nothing happened.

Here's an old video of the trap in action.

http://youtu.be/bulm1Aqi-N0

For the fish that sleep in the same spot every night, I wait until lights out and put on my red LED headlamp and scoop them up while sleeping if possible. If the red light doesn't work, suddenly turning on the lights on them catches some in a deer in headlights moment and then... scoop! My midas blenny was interesting. I knew all his favorite places to back into and sit there with his head poking out. One of those spots was underneath and an acro colony, so I put a clear cup over the colony and forced him under the colony even more. Afterwards, I just dislodged the colony and he shot straight up into the cup. That worked well until one of my fingers could not cover up the bottom as well as hoped and he slipped out. Luckily one of his other favorite spots to hide is in the giant Jedi mind trick colony. I scared him until he finally sought refuge in the colony and then I grabbed the whole colony out of the water and held it over the net until he decided to pop out.

For fish that ignore the lower zone of the fish tank (anthias) where the trap is, I held a giant net in water for hours and fed only in a corner of the tank. Eventually, their hunger overrides their desire to be safe. I just kept dropping food in front of the net and waited until they got close enough to the front of the net for one swift scoop.

Hope the tips are useful. Hunger is your friend... and so are their bad memories. [emoji4]

• Like 2

Well, I just realized with my stocking levels that there was no way I was going to keep an epidemic out of my tank. Maybe if I had 10 fish but not 20+... And my name is not Juiceman so it wasn't going to work for me.

Help me understand this Ty, because I'm not connecting the dots. My apologies if I'm losing something in e-translation.

I read this as you acknowledging you aren't able to keep ich out of the tank, given the amount/type of fish you have. If that is the case, then why go through all of this headache again when you know the outcome isn't likely to be any better than the last go-around?

No, just a normal midas blenny. They start looking more orangy-red as they get older in my experience.

For the question on ich, I'm almost 100% sure it was because I screwed up one of the pretreatments for ich so that's how it got back in the system when I reintroduced everything. I literally missed an entire tank transfer by a day as part of the pretreatment. I can even narrow it down to the likely culprit, the midas blenny.

Another thing logistically was I need a true separate QT and mine wasn't setup yet. And knowing me... And I'm sure the rest of the club knows this truth I deny as well sometimes... Is that I have no resistence to a pretty coral.

So I told myself, I better have my full QT setup up and ready from the get go before I even think about putting fish back in. That way I can stay true to the 30 day rule for all corals and fish. Great plan, bad implementation I had before. This time should prove to be much better. I call the first time the beta test. [emoji14]

• Like 2

Think about the heartburn the guy typing it all up was having. I will say that the whole process is actually really easy. I'm surprised such a simple process can rid you of ich.

Remove fish, do tank transfer method for 12 days, leave fish tank fish tank empty for 76 days, and put back all the fish. As long as you are better at execution than I was, you're done!

• Like 1

I employ all kinds of tricks to snag the fish.

The trap will catch the most aggressive eaters easily after usually only a day or two of feeding the tank only through the trap. What I usually do is not catch those fish first but wait for the more reclusive fish to start trusting it and catch them first. They get emboldened by the more aggressive fish so i grab them first. Most of the fish have terrible memories too so I've been able to literally catch fish, remove the trap, put the trap back in, and the next victims swim right back into it like nothing happened.

Here's an old video of the trap in action.

http://youtu.be/bulm1Aqi-N0

For the fish that sleep in the same spot every night, I wait until lights out and put on my red LED headlamp and scoop them up while sleeping if possible. If the red light doesn't work, suddenly turning on the lights on them catches some in a deer in headlights moment and then... scoop! My midas blenny was interesting. I knew all his favorite places to back into and sit there with his head poking out. One of those spots was underneath and an acro colony, so I put a clear cup over the colony and forced him under the colony even more. Afterwards, I just dislodged the colony and he shot straight up into the cup. That worked well until one of my fingers could not cover up the bottom as well as hoped and he slipped out. Luckily one of his other favorite spots to hide is in the giant Jedi mind trick colony. I scared him until he finally sought refuge in the colony and then I grabbed the whole colony out of the water and held it over the net until he decided to pop out.

For fish that ignore the lower zone of the fish tank (anthias) where the trap is, I held a giant net in water for hours and fed only in a corner of the tank. Eventually, their hunger overrides their desire to be safe. I just kept dropping food in front of the net and waited until they got close enough to the front of the net for one swift scoop.

Hope the tips are useful. Hunger is your friend... and so are their bad memories. [emoji4]

The video helped. Thanks!! I've been trying to catch two TIMID pajama cardinals all weekend! No luck. Seems like every fish will go in the trap, BUT those 2! [emoji20]
  • Like 1

Wow. I miss 1 day and we are back fallow. Maybe by the time the 29th rolls around I'll have a tank.

My money is on my fish going back in the tank first. [emoji23]

You gonna QT another Powder Blue again?
Heck yeah!

Caught a fish last night but not one of the two I'm looking for...

9d2bdf32b5a9209157e5de8fd699a830.jpg

Interesting observation I'd like to point out but after catching all the fish, there was leftover pellets, mysis, and bloodworms in the fish trap. The blue linkia starfish went back in there and started to eat all of it.

I've never actually seen it feed other than it was snacking on a dead snail once. I guess rotting meat is on their menu. Just wanted to pass along as I know success with blue linkias is pretty limited. Mine has made it the all important year now and has stayed healthy looking. Hopefully he has a couple more years in him.