FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

Haha, no trash talk really. He was just pretty adamant on his position on no water changes. I jumped into the thread later on in the conversation and posted my tank video and spoke on my experience with no water changes and we exchanged questions, that's all. Nothing juicy. [emoji4]

Good call Jim, I'll call up the NoPox guys and we'll take Randy down together. Haha. Totally kidding by the way folks! I am a huge Randy Farley-Holmes fan.

• Like 1

I'm coming after Randy Farley-Holmes next and tell him a few things about chemistry.

You'll have to get in line behind the Nopox guys ...

And zeovit and prodibio and anyone else who don't list all their ingredients :P

• Like 1

As the basis of success, I always preach stability for a system. The less changes/swings that your livestock has to deal with, usually the better off you are.

On that note, I went ahead and changed out almost all of my major equipment. [emoji41]

I decided it was about time for me to try a DC return pump so I picked up a Jaebo DCS12000 and swapped out my current Sicce Syncra HF 12. They both roughly have the same GPH/hr rating so the swap was seamless. The nice part is the electrical savings and the ability to ramp the pump if needed. The negatives may be quality of the pump and longevity is going to be questionable on most DC pumps as well as we don't have a robust of a history with them. I've run this for almost a month now with no issues so far. I don't feel the need to have it controllable via my Apex as I have no need to ramp the speed up and down since I need the steady set flow as I use a manifold on my return pump and run multiple reactors off it.

62741462927d97117aa11b69b7a7917c.jpg

I also had the opportunity this past weekend to swap out my Skimz SM201 skimmer for a much larger skimmer model. Sure, I pass up on a newer skimmer and one that has the space saving feature of the pump housed within the skimmer body but what I gain is sheer brute force and just about one of the most reliable skimmer pumps in a bubble blaster. I swapped a nice gentlemen in Temple for a Reef Octopus 5000 skimmer. When I installed it, I knew it was going to be tight... but I literally have a 1mm gap front to back and about 1.5" side to side. Wow! Like a glove?

80633ce8c05fc24c3903266ad01cb294.jpg

This monster is rated up to 500 gals, but really 400 gals heavily stocked, which is still overkill for my tank at roughly 250 total water volume.

Lastly, I was running a no name CaRX, probably an old PM CaRX. It worked perfectly for me but I got tired of replacing the media so often and I wanted to run something externally instead of in the sump. Got an opportunity to pick up a MTC CaRX for a good price and I jumped on it.

46d60fe87d17b3a569a7afbd6cd19c75.jpg

Dual reactor setup, rated for 700 gals, built in pressure monitor, built-in needle valve, and the best part... built-in flow meter!

7f9b2e1b1c5d358a38af1a0b28d59caf.jpg

0eb4bf353d02e76ad5a96455461718c0.jpg

2b9634a98bbbaf12c21c02f9b6307d15.jpg

Once I'm happy with the transition to all the "new" equipment, be on the lookout for me to sell off the old equipment.

• Like 1

Love the new CaRx! I swear the only thing getting me through carbonate geochemistry is calcium reactors...How long between cleanings on that flowmeter?

Thanks bud! It seems saltwater reef tanks have treated you well in your degree program! [emoji4]

I don't follow on the flowmeter. Is there a periodic maintenance I need to know about for the unit?

I don't see that skimmer cleaner on the new monster?

I'm waiting for BRS to get back to me on which size lid I need on that monster. It's in between two size lids that they offer. For now, I'll just have to slum it. [emoji12]
  • Like 1

New equipment is exciting. That's a bold move on the jaebo I hope you kept a backup. I haven't had any issues with mine but have read about too many lemons as well as watched a very predictable 2 year failure time on multiple jaebo powerheads not to have a backup ready.

How was it tuning a new carx? You've used them for so long I assume it was a pretty seamless transition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the new CaRx! I swear the only thing getting me through carbonate geochemistry is calcium reactors...How long between cleanings on that flowmeter?

Thanks bud! It seems saltwater reef tanks have treated you well in your degree program! [emoji4]

I don't follow on the flowmeter. Is there a periodic maintenance I need to know about for the unit?

Flow meters will require occasional cleanings to prevent a build up of material that would possible change the characteristics of the meter. In your case soaking the meter to remove any build up might be all you need but I would check the manual to be sure.

New equipment is exciting. That's a bold move on the jaebo I hope you kept a backup. I haven't had any issues with mine but have read about too many lemons as well as watched a very predictable 2 year failure time on multiple jaebo powerheads not to have a backup ready.

How was it tuning a new carx? You've used them for so long I assume it was a pretty seamless transition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have my old Sicce pump for now but I'll be ordering another Jaebo as backup. I run their WP40s as well so I have a pretty in place Jaebo backup pump plan. shifty.gif

Man, you talk about me swapping out equipment. You are a bit of an equipment "rhymes with gut". smile.png

Best of luck with that new CARX. Couldn't get the monster Deltec to cooperate?

Nut? whistle.gif Where'd you think I learned all my awesome equipment swapping skills from? I even have a peristaltic pump sitting under my stand right now in honor of you!

The deltec fought me the whole way with effluent flow issues and even minor leaks that I thought I had sealed up properly already. It's going to need some more "sweat equity" to get that bad boy going but I couldn't keep risking my alk levels to it. I've already seen a little STN from the back and forth so far.

I am borrowing some ideas from the MTC CaRX unit and will try to modify the Deltec reactor itself to hopefully counteract the non-steady effluent flow issues down the road.

Flow meters will require occasional cleanings to prevent a build up of material that would possible change the characteristics of the meter. In your case soaking the meter to remove any build up might be all you need but I would check the manual to be sure.

That's good to know. We always rented ours from the equipment supply companies during sampling so I never had to maintain one.

Yeah, since it requires a sight glass (and free movement of the flow ball), i wondered how often between cleanings and what the loss in accuracy over time in a marine aquarium would be.

I guess in this application, I'm not so worried about the complete accuracy of the unit. I just want the precision. If it can give me with an eyeball glance that my approximate flowrate is still about the same, then I'm happy. I don't really need to know it's giving me exactly 15ml/min or anything like that.

It does have two screw connectors that would allow easy removal so I'll probably do a periodic flush and vinegar bath on it. I'll check to make sure that won't compromise that little rubber flow ball in it at all.

Yeah, since it requires a sight glass (and free movement of the flow ball), i wondered how often between cleanings and what the loss in accuracy over time in a marine aquarium would be.

That style should not require to much work since they are pretty simple perhaps as simple as running a pipe cleaner through it to clear the path once a year or so but I don't know what kind of build up you get out of a carx.

• Like 1

I just texted you an updated picture for your phone. I got a haircut and it's looking sweet!

Its threaded and I tried the lazy way first by siliconing around the edge. Didn't work so I did it right and removed the piece and added silicone to the actual threads.

Believe it or not, you're actually not supposed to use teflon tape on pvc threaded connections. It has the potential to expand the joints causing even more leaks. That was a shocker when I heard it the first time.

I just texted you an updated picture for your phone. I got a haircut and it's looking sweet!

Its threaded and I tried the lazy way first by siliconing around the edge. Didn't work so I did it right and removed the piece and added silicone to the actual threads.

Believe it or not, you're actually not supposed to use teflon tape on pvc threaded connections. It has the potential to expand the joints causing even more leaks. That was a shocker when I heard it the first time.

Woah crazy, I've never heard that before. Did you use a wrench to tighten it an additional 1/4 turn after it was hand tight?