FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

So last time I went radio silent on the build, I came home with a Colorado sunburst anemone.
d69d8798ca692813682499ba5f703ff6.jpg

This time around, I'll update everyone on my fish livestock additions over the past 6 months. As most of you know, I went through a self-inflicted marine velvet epidemic that wiped out half my fish population at the beginning of the year. I've been slowly adding back to the fish population and allowing the tank to adjust to the additions.

Most notably, I added this juvi emperor angelfish.
a570d7928e84888e2a9179a9efea49e2.jpg

Which turned into this behemoth!
dd9cd05d887330c7eee540646a281adb.jpg

Then I got a replacement leopard wrasse and a flame hawkfish.
c92ab705624fdbd4291f2d7dcd36fb0c.jpg

Then I picked up a tomini tang and shortly after, a dussemeri tang.
edda06865047cd2c0065e536ed3dd7a6.jpg

In the short time I had him, the dussemeri tang grew 1.5" and was quickly getting too big for the tank already. I knew he was going to need an 8' long tank soon so I made the decision to rehome him to a bigger tank. Goodbye handsome!
0d9ab977f9e30d6b3dd1e3fd3f7066dc.jpg

I also picked up a powder blue tang during that time and kept him in the sump as I wanted him to be one of the last additions to the tank since they are so territorial, especially with new additions.

To replace the dussemeri tang, I picked up a naso tang and an orange shoulder tang. [emoji41] I made sure to get a small naso tang and a larger orange shoulder so neither would have too much issues with the current medium-sized tomini tang in the tank. It worked out as I had hoped... No fighting anywhere. The orange shoulder is in it's ugly ducking phase between juvi and adult forms.
f16a539b50254614bec856b78bee8a18.jpg
2df250b4b39426c2e7ef44b16fc493f8.jpg

Oh, did I mention the pyramid butterfly? [emoji16]
13ed9cfb61ff69ac00acaae6b8464ae3.jpg

I'm making one last attempt with a regal angelfish before I throw in the towel with them. So far so good, he's looking nice and healthy in my sump for the past week but he's still just grazing the rocks and not eating what I've given him yet. In time... he's finding plenty in the sump to eat. If you were paying attention, you're probably wondering what happened to the powder blue tang in the sump. Well, he got booted to the skimmer/CaRX chamber for being a jerk.

577bcf661aa4dfce894e783fc0ffd130.jpg

Alright, everyone is caught up now. Oh wait, forgot to mention my niger trigger met his end carpet surfing. I have suspicions my little niece and nephew played a part in spooking him.

Only additions now if everything goes right is maybe one more fairy wrasse down the road and a few anthias... But I'll let the tank adjust a bit more before that happens. Keep in mind all of this happened with about 1-2 fish a month added to allow the system to adjust... so nobody go crazy and start throwing tons of fish into the tank thinking I did the same. [emoji12]

Happy reefing y'all! I'll try to be better about posting.

• Like 2

Thanks Dan. That emperor changed a lot quicker than I thought it would. I'll probably aim to host sometime in the late Fall and have everyone over for some tasty food and a good discussion topic.

Yeah, I had tried a Regal 2 other times with a full QT and it didn't work out. This time I did my sump method and it seems to be going a lot better now. They are just so sensitive that they poorly in QT. Just got to get that bugger to eat but at least he's staying in good health while I train him. He's finding plenty in the sump to eat so I'm not worried.

Not full LED yet. I've been too preoccupied to order my last unit and install it. The corals under the LEDs currently look like nothing has changed since the transition. Like I said, unorthodox percentages I'm using but it's working, go figure. 80% white and 20% blue, I guess sometimes it's okay to march to the beat of your own drummer.

Yeah Jim, I wanted to go with different varieties of fishes I've never had before after losing so many to marine velvet. But for some reason, I couldn't not get another blonde naso. It was always my coveted tang and I had to get another. I also got a replacement leopard wrasse too... They are just too stunning and beautiful not to have one in the tank.

• 1 month later...

Nooooo They fragged it? I was hoping to get the big version lol That was a good lookin $50 echinata!

They were doing $50/2" frag. From the look of that colony, they had about 5-6 more frags they could make out of it. It's about the healthiest specimen I've seen imported into Austin in awhile.

The yellow looking coral is actually lime green and it's a surhasonoi. It'll go more neon green as it adjusts. Dan has some he was selling a couple weeks back if you're looking for some.

Ah that's cool, I thought they were selling that colony for 50 and I was shooting my self in the foot for leaving without it lol! Your tank looks great, I can't wait till the fish break off a frag of that Hawkins :P

What is the coral on the sand bed next to your anemone?

If you're talking about the giant LPS coral, that's a fat boy Duncan colony, about the size of a cantaloupe.
I thought it looked like a Duncan but it seemed to big.

Ah that's cool, I thought they were selling that colony for 50 and I was shooting my self in the foot for leaving without it lol! Your tank looks great, I can't wait till the fish break off a frag of that Hawkins [emoji14]

Oh, my ORA hawkins echinata? I've had 4 frags of that just sitting in my frag tank for the last 2 months. I'll be bringing them to the frag swap if you can make it.