FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

Cameron, there are many ways of "controlling" algae but really we aren't doing it any more than we are any other number or value in the system. Salt, PH, PO4, are all dealt with in different ways. Algae is most difficult IMO because some of it may just be a phase for the system, and others are a true nuscience, and others most be in the system at all times or else catastrophic failure.

I'd be willing to be however than even though Ty and I run pretty different systems, that we have one distinct thing in common: diversity!

For example: Ty and I (mostly because of him) both have mostly urchin, snails, "microfauna" and very few if any crabs. Why? Because they are slow effective eaters who don't remove live food while still being a food source if needed (okay probably not the urchin). Why is this important? Because good things don't happen fast in an aquarium!

In other words: If Ty tells you "if you want a clean all the time tank do XYZ" and you do but it doesn't work you'll just go out looking for the next quick fix (you being anyone). Understanding what causes algal growth, detritus build up, a bacterial blooms is what keeps a clean tank. Nothing more and nothing less.

Ty - I'm just tryin to get this **** thread to 100

• Like 1

Cameron, there are many ways of "controlling" algae but really we aren't doing it any more than we are any other number or value in the system. Salt, PH, PO4, are all dealt with in different ways. Algae is most difficult IMO because some of it may just be a phase for the system, and others are a true nuscience, and others most be in the system at all times or else catastrophic failure.

I'd be willing to be however than even though Ty and I run pretty different systems, that we have one distinct thing in common: diversity!

For example: Ty and I (mostly because of him) both have mostly urchin, snails, "microfauna" and very few if any crabs. Why? Because they are slow effective eaters who don't remove live food while still being a food source if needed (okay probably not the urchin). Why is this important? Because good things don't happen fast in an aquarium!

In other words: If Ty tells you "if you want a clean all the time tank do XYZ" and you do but it doesn't work you'll just go out looking for the next quick fix (you being anyone). Understanding what causes algal growth, detritus build up, a bacterial blooms is what keeps a clean tank. Nothing more and nothing less.

Is this the new club goal, to get Ty's thread to 100 pages? I wish I had a tank large enough to have urchins or a sea cucumber.

Well said sir and I appreciate you still fighting the good fight for 100 pages. I'm planning a retirement party for the occasion.

@Larry - new goal? Have you seen the gibberish in this build thread? It only serves purpose to only add volume, not quality. [emoji23]

Well said sir and I appreciate you still fighting the good fight for 100 pages. I'm planning a retirement party for the occasion.

@Larry - new goal? Have you seen the gibberish in this build thread? It only serves purpose to only add volume, not quality. [emoji23]

I have in fact read the whole thread (perks of being unemployed I guess) I would say only about 60-75% is gibberish, there is some real gold buried in the dark recesses of this thread.
  • Like 1

ohmy.png I wish they had a jaw-dropping emoticon but that's the best I could find. Holy cow man! That's a ton of reading there!

I feel like I should either give you a trophy for completion of the build thread or apologize profusely for putting you through that!

:o I wish they had a jaw-dropping emoticon but that's the best I could find. Holy cow man! That's a ton of reading there!

I feel like I should either give you a trophy for completion of the build thread or apologize profusely for putting you through that!

Bah, it only took me a day tops.
  • Like 1

I will admit o have never listened to one of Ty's famously bad video soundtracks, I just watch

You've only lived half a life then sir! [emoji12]
Given what I have heard about your soundtracks I don't know if I want to live that other half.
  • Like 1

I'm gonna sum up the whole build thread:

I'm gonna build it myself

J/k

Got this huge awesome tank for free

Got a bunch of killer gear for free

Transferred over slow

Lost a bunch of acros

Metal halides rule

Look at my sweet canopy

Rapidly change parameters and equipment for fun

Best acro grower on earth

Angelfish

Leds rule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

J/k

Transferred over slow

Lost a bunch of acros

Metal halides rule

Look at my sweet canopy

Angelfish

Leds rule

You forgot the bit about saying he was not going to change anything then taking a turkey sized ball of macro out of the refugium.
  • Like 1

When I say algae, it's not diotoms. It just makes the sand red on top. I'll take pics in the morning when the lights come on. Maybe that's one problem, that I don't have a good CUC. All I have is a few hermits and a small snail. I've been thinking about adding an urchin. But I don't want to get poked ?

When I say algae, it's not diotoms. It just makes the sand red on top. I'll take pics in the morning when the lights come on. Maybe that's one problem, that I don't have a good CUC. All I have is a few hermits and a small snail. I've been thinking about adding an urchin. But I don't want to get poked ?

Everyone that has them seems to like the tiger tail sea cucumbers for cuc.

J/k

Transferred over slow

Lost a bunch of acros

Metal halides rule

Look at my sweet canopy

Angelfish

Leds rule

Hilarious dude! [emoji23]
  • Like 1

When I say algae, it's not diotoms. It just makes the sand red on top. I'll take pics in the morning when the lights come on. Maybe that's one problem, that I don't have a good CUC. All I have is a few hermits and a small snail. I've been thinking about adding an urchin. But I don't want to get poked

Everyone that has them seems to like the tiger tail sea cucumbers for cuc.
Had tiger tails for about 2 years. Great cleaners and proficient at self reproduction. I prefer pink and black ones though. Haven't had one reproduce yet and they eat a little slower but they distribute sand better. The tiger tails always had their backends in the rocks and so after years of this, you get this piling effect around the bases of your rock structures.

to be super cereal this build thread has been probably the most educational and inspirational source of info I've had in the hobby. I've tried to mimic several of its features with varied success

to be super cereal this build thread has been probably the most educational and inspirational source of info I've had in the hobby. I've tried to mimic several of its features with varied success

Oh no, you ruined the mood by being super cereal! [emoji13] Thanks bud. That means a lot. I'm glad some of my over documentation and random experiments were entertaining and useful for someone other than myself.