FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

Interesting observation today but I had noticed my blue linkia starfish laying on my new hero coral last night. He was still there this morning.

When the lights came on, I noticed that some of the tips of the coral were gone and patches of flesh as well.

Could it be that the linkia snacked on my hero coral?

I've also heard that they may eat some montis as well.

3cbbdfeca112893c43f74638d887f9b7.jpg

5207a917a106da57d4bf6a6a65969d55.jpg

I'll be honest some people really just love starfish. They're colorful, but I read overwhelmingly bad things about most all of the jumbo sized stars out there. Either they're too hard to keep fed, they overclean the sandbed, or eventually turn to corals for food

Yeah, the linkia stars were just an experimental addition. I was wondering if I had bacterial levels, pods levels, detritus levels, or whatever population of food that they'll eat to stay alive.

It's interesting that they've been alive since the Spring and I still have never seen them feed... up until the eaten portions on the tubinaria were witnessed.

If they just take little chunks out of my montis and tubinaria... then they can have at it... especially the montis as I can almost guarantee they'll grow back faster than they have been eating it.

I've witnessed the same with the asterina stars in tanks. IMO, all the complaints about stars eating zoas is mainly because the zoas were dying already and they are just doing their jobs, cleaning up. The linkia starfish however was definitely over a healthy tubinaria coral and there were pieces missing afterwards. Again, I don't mind, snack away my friends. Haha.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I got an emperor causing terror in the tank and you ask me about the trigger? [emoji12]

The niger trigger is well behaved. He's got so much personality! He hasn't tried to eat any corals, fish, or clean-up crew yet... time will tell.

He's a little aggressive during feeding time but that has subsided once he realized he's the smallest of 3 big fish in the tank.

Neither! It appears exactly the same to me as far as coloration and growth is concerned. I'll snap two frags of a coral one day and place one under each light and observe. I just need to finish the scape on my left rock first before I do that so I have a place to put the frag.

Once that emperor gets to full adult coloration, I'll stitch together all the pictures I've taken to show his progression. Quite the dramatic change since I got him.

The duss is starting to get his adult color as well. Hopefully the colors darken up more and more as he gets bigger! Then when he's stunning... I'll have to give him up to you... [emoji17]

Nice vid. Everything looks good after your transition.

Thank you sir. I'm still waiting for the colors in the SPS to start changing from the LED swap but they still haven't. Perhaps it's a slower change so I'll keep watching out for it.

If they don't change at all, then you have me sold on LEDs. [emoji41]