FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

Got greedy. Could of used a minute of video and no one would be the wiser. What else do you plan on stocking in there?

You kidding me? The best parts were in the last 20 seconds of the video! [emoji5]

It's a surprise Brian! I just go with what inspires me!

Well I know the Niger trigger is new and I think I see a new cleaner wrasse that I don't remember.

The emperor is changing you can really start to see the yellow coming out.

• Like 1

Yeah, I need to take another good picture of the emperor. He's lookin' mighty yellow these days!

Quick update on the system:

-everything purring along until my Apex started acting goofy

-some slight fluctuations of alk but nothing crazy, it did cause me to lose a little color in some of my acros but most stayed nicely colored

-using a loaner Apex (thank you for good reef buddies) and shipping my unit in for repair. I anticipate getting it back next week

-no more CYANO!!! Woohoo!

-moved all corals off the sandbed and enjoying the negative space and having my beach back

-will be cutting up some corals for the next few weeks prior to C4

-introduced several new fish that were in QT and also some that went in directly, replacement leopard wrasse female, pencil wrasse, tomini tang (my first tang back in the tank since the marine velvet epidemic), niger trigger, flame hawkfish, male mandarin goby, red linkia, and blue linkia,

I turned off the skimmer and UV for 3 days as an experiment. Let's say I didn't like the results... the water got slightly cloudy from an increase in bacterial populations from the biopellets and the emperor got ich really quickly. I turned back on the skimmer and UV and everything is croaking like an emperor fish again... snapping like a pistol shrimp?... cleaning like a cleaner shrimp? encrusting like a monti?.... hmm.... they all sound good. shifty.gif

• Like 1

Ooooh I see some I like! Please make sure you actually bring some of those to C4 (and I mean don't sell them before the show, I was not thinking of Reburn's picture he likes to post)

In the news today, FIFA president resigns, the reformed Patriot Act passes in Senate, and JeeperTy goes LED!

Okay, not really but the cat is out of the bag since so many people saw my tank in the last couple of weeks.

I've always kept an eye out for LEDs but after a ton of research and staring at people's corals and LED fixtures, I finally took the leap and ordered some Ocean Revive Artic T247 fixtures.

The first experiment was to try it over my frag tank. I'm roughly about a month into the experiment and it's been going well so far. All corals in the frag tank have acclimated well minus a couple of zoa frags.

ac988b983b0fff764e6d801802abbe42.jpg

After C4, the plan was to try it over the left side of my display tank and see how it goes. If well, then I'll switch over the middle. If that goes nicely too, then it'll be my coveted right side with my SPS collection.

If anybody is wondering why the switch... I still enjoy my MHs very much but the heat and running that loud chiller is getting to me. If I was still running 250-watts like in my old system, I wouldn't have even bothered. But nothing feels worse than 400-watts of heat coming at you 3x over and also trying to manage that heat and the excessive evaporation.

I'll be honest, if the colors don't match up to what I like... I'm scrapping it and going right back to my MHs. I'll be open to it now at least so that I don't get accused of being a dinosaur in an age with all this fancy technology.

Wish me luck in my ever-changing yet proclaimed stable system. [emoji14]

Best of luck there. If I were going LEDs those would be what I would do likely. Nice combo of cheap plus good. Vietspride covered his red diodes up with tape, as he said he was getting some bleaching directly under them since those optics are fairly focused and that's a lot of red light in a small space

Thank you sir. You know I'm all about value!

I thought about trying to figure out a way to put 120 degree optics on the reds but the optics aren't as easily switchable as the evergrow led units which you can just screw on/off optics and switch at your leisure.

Is this real life? Down is up, up is down, my neighbors cat is barking...I'm so confused! I should have taken the blue pill.

Haha! Yeah, that was a Matrix quote. I'm so shocked that you sent me back to 1999 for a second. Thank God too. I don't think I could handle another year of High School.

• Like 1

Alright, update pic of the emperor changing to adult coloration. He's definitely got more yellow and his tail is yellow now. Keep going dude!

fefd204499a04511518b2eee117360ca.jpg

My pencil wrasse... everytime I look at him, I think of the old koi pond we had when I was a kid. He's very koi like.

ddefc7fc50d7f45cb366268e4ccc7a12.jpg