FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

Awww man, don't make me pull back out my reeflo hammerhead! I guess 5,550 gph will provide plenty of flow. I'll have to rework my chiller setup though.

Ol aggie I think just helped me figure out where my flow went. 1.5" output on sicce pump, then through manifold to 1" output, then down to 3/4" pvc to return valves... one T and four 90 degree elbows later and...

• Like 1

Have you performed an autopsy? If the fish is still around and not in a bad state, I would be interested to see if something was wrong in the gut or stomach to have caused the death. You studied marine science in college right? I'm sure you've dissected a fish or two there. All in the name of science and knowledge!

Man, it's one thing if it was a baby shark, fish, or octopus. But when it's one of your pets... it's gets into a weird territory for me.

You have to also remember my wife is a vegetarian. The last time I pointed out a dead baby bird in the backyard, I thought I had broken her heart. Instant tears man! [emoji26] That's why I love her though!

So sorry to hear Ty. With all you have learned now your fish wrangling is getting up there with your coral farming. Sounds like a well rounded reefer with one more "that is nothing, this one time when my ..." story to tell.

Seriously, I am keeping my 55 set up as the QT for my big tank stocking after what you've shared.

Chin up.

• Like 1

I'm telling you, nice foxface waiting for you if you need cheering up. It like to roll around in your hand with spikes up and all.

I wouldn't mind it but for the same price, there's a lot of more coveted fish I'd rather pick up right now.

Wouldn't be that price for,you brother. Not during tough times.

I appreciate it Manny. Just not ready to even think about QT'ING another batch of fish. If it's still around when I decide to add a naso back to the system, I might hit you up. Right now the QT'ed fish are sitting in the tub and I don't want to introduce anything to that stability.

A few things:

1) removed all my chaeto (about the size of a large turkey) from my sump (goodbye like 200 brittle stars... I'll miss you guys)

a72d669559f68ae04bddcc8f0cc1f69e.jpg

2) Setup my new/old frag setup in the sump. Got some tester pieces in there now.

eb2e57d0390413e39453ff85abe901fb.jpg

a03a5de758b83c69f60e1309289b552c.jpg

3) Bought all the plumbing parts necessary to plumb my UV sterilizer (hello weekend project)

4) Fish are being remitted to the DT next Wednesday! Woohoo! I may hold back my tangs though and perhaps think about restocking the ones I lost and QT them all together so I don't have territory issues. I might also be letting go of some that are not in my final stocking plans.

On another note, I noticed my alk was dipping a bit over the last few weeks so I've been bumping up the CARX. Lo' and behold, I took a look at the media this morning and I realized, I had melted almost 2.5" of media in the last 45 days... not to mention the 1" that melted in my secondary reactor (both reactors are 5" in diameter). The reactor was filled to the top 45 days ago! That's like melting the equivalent of a large tub of butter of CaRX media for size comparison in 45 days!

5b4bd50a10ae4d48094e4a41bdaf956f.jpg

Wow! I guess things are happy now. If this keeps up, my plans on building a DIY giant CaRX may have to be bumped up.

Yes sir... that and I knew it was just a drop in the bucket as to its ability to remove nutrients from my system. Even though it was about the size of a large turkey, for it to make a considerable difference on my size tank, I'd probably need a 75 gallon tank full of it.

I did enjoy the other benefits such as a place for cleanup crew and pods to reproduce but it started out losing it's usefulness when a coral frag section seemed more useful to me... and more fun.

Hmmm, nothing like getting baked for 14 hrs by a 400-watt metal halide. My left MH light stayed on overnight after its owner decided he wanted to lower his light cycle down to 6 hrs under the MHs and then quickly forgot to use military time to program. What makes it even more sad is the same owner that programmed it incorrectly used to write field notes in military time for 10 years prior to his career change. [emoji30]

• Like 1