Fungia Recovery

Grog

I have a fungia plate, fancy colors, that didn't do well in my old tank. In the new tank it has been slowly recovering and I've been seeing some more polyps.

Today, prior to the lights coming on, It is like totally open and full. wave.gif

Very strange, it went from slow recovery and struggling to BOOM, healthy looking. It hasn't looked like this since I brought it home. I'll try to snap a picture later.

This was not what I expected when I looked into the tank this morning but I'll take a pleasant surprise. grin.png

• Like 1

Totally deflated and is skeleton now the lights are on. I'm going to watch it late tonight and try to spot feed it some shrimp ~4:00 AM or so. I'll be hungry for a snack then! biggrin.png

Maybe it is a night owl? Did some reading and found this is not uncommon. Was not what I expected as my other inflates with the light schedule and is puffy in the day and a skeleton at night.

I'm considering some red LED strips on a separate circuit so I can observe night time shenanigans.

• Like 1

Totally deflated and is skeleton now the lights are on. I'm going to watch it late tonight and try to spot feed it some shrimp ~4:00 AM or so. I'll be hungry for a snack then! biggrin.png

Maybe it is a night owl? Did some reading and found this is not uncommon. Was not what I expected as my other inflates with the light schedule and is puffy in the day and a skeleton at night.

I'm considering some red LED strips on a separate circuit so I can observe night time shenanigans.

I'm really curious how this works with your fungia polyps. Red light works for a lot of the higher animals because their eyes do not have the recepters that detect red light. With the fungia though their chlorophyll a and b have absorption peaks in the red spectrum so they may perceive it as daylight. Take pictures!