Is there a REAL difference in Apex and Reefkeeper Elite???

Chad and Belinda

A few things: The support community for Apex is much better organized and more responsive, and I'm including the manufacturer on that. At a local level (this club) the apex users are legion and willing to help.

At some level, it comes down to Chevy/Ford, Nikon/Canon.

With that in mind,apex has a reputation as being more solid and less prone to tank killing disasters like this one (tried googling "apex tank disaster" and didnt return anything)

http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6194

From a technical level, both have various combinations of features that the other does not unless you add expansion modules in (the full apex has 0-10v dimming, the RKE does not BUT the RKE has switch inputs stock, the apex does not).

It's going to come down to what you want this to do for you, and how much you want local help.

One could argue that they can be setup to do the same thing.

I currently own both and wouldn't even consider a Reef keeper if an Apex was any option. I'd rather stick with timers and power strips and save up for the apex. The apex is so much easier to use especially since it includes a web interface. If you have a cell phone or tablet you can control it with that as long as they're connected to the same internet in your house. Everything is better and easier on the APEX IMO.

Love my Apex. It seems expensive especially with every module, probe, etc. dinging your wallet $75+. But several times its overrided my stupidity and saved my livestock which is worth much more than the unit with all the bells and whistles. Victoly brings up another excellent point about the local support you'll find. Programming it or setting it up to work with your internet can be daunting at first but having a bunch of club members who already have gone thru would be invaluable.

if I knew enough about programming I would have an APEX, that's why I just have the simple RK, all I have to do is set what time I want an object on and off and it does it. I have the temp probe and PH probe but don't use them to control anything. They r just for reference. Hope this helps Chad.

Can't compare as I never had a Reefkeeper but I used to travel for 2 weeks at a time and lose about $200 worth of SPS each time I left. One Apex later and that's already worth it to me with the livestock it has saved to this point.

if I knew enough about programming I would have an APEX, that's why I just have the simple RK, all I have to do is set what time I want an object on and off and it does it. I have the temp probe and PH probe but don't use them to control anything. They r just for reference. Hope this helps Chad.

Apex does this also with no programming. Just click the outlet and select timer or light from the drop down box and type in the time. (Apex uses a 24 hour clock when setting times)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yeah, programming isn't needed for most apex usage. It's normally only required when you need to program feeding cycles or advanced stuff like conditional triggers. Otherwise everything is pretty much dropdowns or enter time, temp, ph, for some action to occur.