50 gallon dwarf Lionfish build

Jmvanness

Thanks Patrick. It hasn't started branching yet, so it'll be exciting to see how it looks when it gets bigger. No ideas on the other one? I thought for the longest time that it was a mushroom coral that had folded up, but when I moved it it was stiff and rubbery, so that definitely wasn't the case.

Maybe Padina or lobophora?

I collected Padina at Aransas Pass jetties. While not of bright color, it looked beautiful covering several square feet. It is somewhat stiff and rubbery with a green iridescence. My eyes saw blue in your picture.

Patrick

Stock update: Added some Ulva which looks really nice and finally decided on what to put in the tank. I'm going to go with a dwarf zebra lionfish and a ghost ribbon eel which I asked Jake to order for me. I may add something else later on, but for now I want to see how those two work out. I think I'm going to bury a pvc structure under the sand for the eel with exits hidden in the live rock in order to make it more comfortable and secure. I also have to get the top secured against escape, but I think I know how I'm going to go about that. Can't wait to see that eel against the black sand, I think it's going to look really great!

Dwarf zebras are supposed to get around 7", I'd say this one is around half that size.

I haven't seen this one swim a lot, but he just went in last night. Dwarf Zebras are supposed to be more active than fuzzies and fu's but they're still fairly inactive. Trying to think of a more active fish that will be compatible with these two and won't eat my macros... maybe a leopard wrasse?

Sorry to hear about your lionfish.

I have a black leopard wrasse and an ornate leopard wrasse that I got at AD and I love them. They are very active and swim everywhere in the tank, without being frenetic. Just be sure that they are eating when you purchase them. Mine will eat frozen and dried cyclopeeze, but won't eat flakes. I'm not sure why Liveaquaria lists them as expert (I've heard that it's because they don't ship well), but they've been more hardy for me than the fairy wrasses (I've given up on those).

• 2 months later...

Stock list:

Frogspawn

Several zoas and palys

Cabbage leather

Candy canes and trumpets

Lobos

Ricordia and assorted mushrooms

Various unidentified macro algae

Really grumpy coral banded

Serpent star

cerinth snails

Fred, the puffer mimic filefish

Occy clown

Arc eye hawkfish

Dwarf fuzzy lion (who is now eating frozen like a pro)

White ribbon eel

• 3 months later...