50 gallon dwarf Lionfish build

Jmvanness

So I picked up a 50 gallon from Fish Gallery a while back, bought Patricks BEAUTIFUL red stand and have set to work. Plumbing, aquascaping, and set-up are all finished. Just have to let it cycle.

I went with black sand, minimal but sufficient LR, and macro algae. There will probably be a few low end corals just for color and movement, but otherwise it's more of a FOWLR tank.

So now I need to think about what to put in it, which is my favorite part. I know for sure that I want a lionfish (probably a dwarf fuzzy or a dwarf zebra). Any suggestions on a tank mate or two? Thought of getting a snowflake, but don't want to deal with all that. Have also considered an angler and/or a leaffish, but it would be nice to have SOMETHING active since dwarf lions aren't. Additionally considering a wrasse, but not sure how that would work out with a lion.

Any suggestions for a couple cool inverts? crabs, shrimp, starfish, etc...

Also looking for info on how much circulation these guys like. I have a mini wave maker and two small powerheads to move the water around, but just the two powerheads are really creating quite a current.

PIcs will go up soon, just waiting on the water to clear.

• Like 1

So I'm assuming it's like other lions or anglers where they will eat or attempt to eat anything they think will fit in their mouths.

I would probably stick with quick tankmates and ones that you don't mind getting picked off as time goes on for the main stocking. 50 still limits the total stocking quite a bit. Maybe a school of green chromis or saltwater acclimated mollies which would help for algae control. You would probably be fine with one of the dwarf angels if you keep it FOWLR / minimal coral. Possibly a wrasse or watchman goby.

So I'm assuming it's like other lions or anglers where they will eat or attempt to eat anything they think will fit in their mouths.

I would probably stick with quick tankmates and ones that you don't mind getting picked off as time goes on for the main stocking. 50 still limits the total stocking quite a bit. Maybe a school of green chromis or saltwater acclimated mollies which would help for algae control. You would probably be fine with one of the dwarf angels if you keep it FOWLR / minimal coral. Possibly a wrasse or watchman goby.

Yeah, I have to find fish that won't get eaten. I don't want to do angels because they'll eat my macros. Right now I'm thinking dwarf zebra, marine betta, and possibly a leopard wrasse. I'm going to try to put some mollies or guppies in the sump in the hopes of providing steady live food as well.

Marine beta is a great fish. If you do some of the more resilient macros like gracillaria hayi it's unlikely anything will eat it. Also not sure what macros you are planning on but most of the dwarf angels lean way more towards being carnivores than herbivores unlike the larger angels.

For some reason, marine betas are my favorite fish. That and clown triggers but I think they may be better off in the ocean.

What's nice about the beta's is that they're readily available as captive bred, not a whole lot of chance on the clown triggers though.

Thanks Patrick. It hasn't started branching yet, so it'll be exciting to see how it looks when it gets bigger. No ideas on the other one? I thought for the longest time that it was a mushroom coral that had folded up, but when I moved it it was stiff and rubbery, so that definitely wasn't the case.

Maybe Padina or lobophora?

Your tank is looking great!

Thanks Kim! Can't wait for the cycle to finish!

I see your north, I have a full pack of silversides and bamboo skewers for feeding sticks you can have if you want. I got a lion and he died a few days later so I won't need it.

That's very nice of you! I'm pm you and set-up a time.

Also lionfishlair.com has a bunch of info on the lions and is worth checking out if you haven't seen it yet

I like that site. Just having difficulty pinning down any info of flow rates and the like. May just have to "wait and see" it.