Calling all LED nerds!

Jmvanness

I'm seriously considering switching over to LEDS from my current 6 bulb T5 setup. I need to replace the bulbs anyway, so I figured for twice or three times that I could get some leds. My problem is, I don't know what to look for or where to start. I'll give you guys my wants and maybe you all can help me find something to suit my needs.

Tank:

150 gallon tall

4' long x 2' deep x 30" tall

All soft / lps corals, some macro and 1 gbta

What I want in an LED fixture:

programmable timer; preferably one that has the gradual on and off (sunrise/sunset)

crisp white light with plenty of blue to make the corals pop

not terribly expensive

What I've looked at:

Ecoxotic Marine Panorama 48" fixture with the controller about $250 plus $70 for the controller; not sure if I'd need 1, 2 or 1 with a stunner strip

http://www.ecoxotic.com/panorama-marine-led-system.html

BuildMyLed 14000K custom reef 48" fixture $273 manual dimmer $15: again 1 or 2? Is there an automated controller?

http://www.buildmyled.com/custom-reef-spectrum/

From there they seem to jump up into $300 plus for smaller units....

I really like the ecoxotic fixture for all its features and that shimmer effect, but the BuildMyLed has more LEDS (60 as opposed to 40 in the ecoxotic) and would probably produce better colors because it has more than just white and blue.

Suggestions?

I'm seriously considering switching over to LEDS from my current 6 bulb T5 setup. I need to replace the bulbs anyway, so I figured for twice or three times that I could get some leds. My problem is, I don't know what to look for or where to start. I'll give you guys my wants and maybe you all can help me find something to suit my needs.

Tank:

150 gallon tall

programmable timer; preferably one that has the gradual on and off (sunrise/sunset)

not terribly expensive

What I've looked at:

Ecoxotic Marine Panorama 48" fixture with the controller about $250 plus $70 for the controller; not sure if I'd need 1, 2 or 1 with a stunner strip

BuildMyLed 14000K custom reef 48" fixture $273 manual dimmer $15: again 1 or 2? Is there an automated controller?

I really like the ecoxotic fixture for all its features and that shimmer effect, but the BuildMyLed has more LEDS (60 as opposed to 40 in the ecoxotic) and would probably produce better colors because it has more than just white and blue.

Suggestions?

I can recommend Build My LED. I purchased the 12K reef spectrum. I purchased three of these $273 lamps. For your needs, I suspect you should get the 14K reef spectrum. There recommendation is one foot of LED for each ten gallons. That would mean four 4' lamps at $273 each or about $1100. How much do your T5 bulbs cost you and how often do you change them? I find that manufactures recommendation of bulb change out to be wasteful.

Patrick

After having built a few LED fixtures, I'd push you more towards a full spectrum light (i.e., not just cool white and royal blue). Not many of the lights (BMLED included) come with built in controllers. There are aftermarket controllers available, the most popular of which is probably using an apex to control the lights via 0-10volt ports.

Just be prepared for things to get pretty expensive quickly. It's much harder to get a quality LED fixture with controllability than it is MH or T5 at a reasonable cost.

YIKES! I was thinking 2 max...

For the ATI bulbs I want it would be about $130 or so for all 6 bulbs once a year. So assuming the fixture itself doesn't fail, it would cost $400 (plus the electricity bill) every 3 years. Where as an LED fixture rated at 50,000 hours running 12 hours a day should last 11 years and be more energy efficient. 11 years worth of t5 bulbs = $1430

So if I can get the LEDS for $500-600, I'd consider that a huge win in the long run.

I have the same tank dimension and for Build my LED you need 4 LEDS.

Tank:
150 gallon tall

not terribly expensive
What I've looked at:

Suggestions?

I can recommend Build My LED. I purchased the 12K reef spectrum. I purchased three of these $273 lamps. For your needs, I suspect you should get the 14K reef spectrum. There recommendation is one foot of LED for each ten gallons. That would mean four 4' lamps at $273 each or about $1100. How much do your T5 bulbs cost you and how often do you change them? I find that manufactures recommendation of bulb change out to be wasteful.
Patrick

After having built a few LED fixtures, I'd push you more towards a full spectrum light (i.e., not just cool white and royal blue). Not many of the lights (BMLED included) come with built in controllers. There are aftermarket controllers available, the most popular of which is probably using an apex to control the lights via 0-10volt ports.

Just be prepared for things to get pretty expensive quickly. It's much harder to get a quality LED fixture with controllability than it is MH or T5 at a reasonable cost.

I was thinking that too. If I went with the ecoxotic, I could always add stunner strips to fill out the spectrum. They have a really nice controller as well for $70 as opposed to a $400 apex... though the Apex does a lot more.

For the ATI bulbs I want it would be about $130 or so for all 6 bulbs once a year. So assuming the fixture itself doesn't fail, it would cost $400 (plus the electricity bill) every 3 years. Where as an LED fixture rated at 50,000 hours running 12 hours a day should last 11 years and be more energy efficient. 11 years worth of t5 bulbs = $1430

So if I can get the LEDS for $500-600, I'd consider that a huge win in the long run.

IMO those LED life stats are garbage. Long before they "die" your driver will die, they will lose intensity, you'll upgrade tanks, LED spectra will improve (and you'll want to upgrade). All I'm saying is, if you use the lifetime of LEDs as part of your calculus, back a truckload of salt into your thought process.

I'm gonna agree with Bio3 on this, I believe that the best mid-level full spectrum fixtures out there right now are the AI Vegas.

Did u check reef breeders systems? They r made in china but are warranties here by reef breeders. They have built in timers and dimmer for two channels

Good call! $500 for a 102 bulb controllable unit. Do you have any experience with the brand?

IMO those LED life stats are garbage. Long before they "die" your driver will die, they will lose intensity, you'll upgrade tanks, LED spectra will improve (and you'll want to upgrade). All I'm saying is, if you use the lifetime of LEDs as part of your calculus, back a truckload of salt into your thought process.

I'm gonna agree with Bio3 on this, I believe that the best mid-level full spectrum fixtures out there right now are the AI Vegas.

Thanks for the info... I have NO experience with leds so I'm in the dark about all of this.

The Vegas are cool. but $500 each and I'd need at least 2. The controller is awesome though and only $80

Thanks for the info... I have NO experience with leds so I'm in the dark about all of this.

The Vegas are cool. but $500 each and I'd need at least 2. The controller is awesome though and only $80

Like i said, initial investment in a quality full spectrum, controllable LED fixture will sting.

• Like 1

Definitely going to hurt. lol... The Smaller units may actually work better as I have two supports running across the top of the tank that block some light in the fixture I have now. With the smaller fixtures, I could put them in front to back in between the bracing and maximize the light in the tank as well as end up with more bulbs. Victoly, do you happen to know how many fixtures you can control with a single controller on the Vegas?

2 EVO 150's would cover a 4x2 square for LPS. I'm going to sell mine once I switch to all Build my LED. I have them hung and they're kindof heavy. Great for LPS and Softies, the grow SPS but lack the extra color spectrums for great coloration for SPS in my Opinion.

Definitely going to hurt. lol... The Smaller units may actually work better as I have two supports running across the top of the tank that block some light in the fixture I have now. With the smaller fixtures, I could put them in front to back in between the bracing and maximize the light in the tank as well as end up with more bulbs. Victoly, do you happen to know how many fixtures you can control with a single controller on the Vegas?

I've DIY'd my LEDs and control via apex, but Bio3 or Capt. Obvious should be able to assist you.

I've got 3 Vega's on my tank. You can run a lot more than 3 lights with the controller. You can do so much with these using the controller. You're more than welcome to come over and check them out before you buy something.

James

Considering how many fans I've seen fail on T5 fixtures and LED fixtures I would argue for LED fixtures that are designed for passive cooling or proactively get replacement fans before hand. Unfortunately even passively cooled LED fixtues do need fans if in a closed hood but moving fans farther away from salt spray will reduce failure rates and multiple fans for redundancy is easier to do. (And in my experience T5 fixtures have a median life expectancy of roughly 6 years.) Another factor that needs to be taken into consideration is the reflector design. I've seen higher PAR/lux readings with total wattage reduced by as much as two thirds with Buildmyled.com fixtures because of corroded or bad reflector design on T5 and MH fixtures. Get a cheap lux meter and do some comparison readings with your fixture and some of the other fixtures recommended here. Buildmyled.com gives their PAR readings at different depths on their website although for just comparing fixtures I wouldn't necesarily bother with a waterproof PAR or lux meter.

I used a 2' BUILDMYLED in a 20G tall. The bottom PAR at 16" was 105. If I had chosen a 75 degree cone angle, instead of 90 degrees, I could have gotten the bottom more intense.

The recommendation of 1' of LED for each 10G is on the lower medium end of the scale.

Patrick

PAR: photosyntic active radiation. This meter measures photons within the range of spectrum that is considered necessary for photosynthesis.

Lux: intensity of photons with no regard to spectrum.