How cool is too cool?

Wade

My tank has been running a lot cooler since I made the switch to LEDs. Following a 20% water change yesterday it's been running at about 76.7 degrees which is about 2 degrees colder than usual. I heat my replacement water to 78% so that shouldn't have cooled it down that much. Is 76.7 too cold? it'll probably drop a degree or so through the night I imagine.

Do you use a heater? I don't think 76 is too low but I wouldn't want the temp fluctuating all over the place. I try to keep mine at 78. And I don't have a heater. I use fans to control temp. Sometimes I put fan right on top of water then move it if temp drops. I would shoot for 78.

Being the odd man out.....

In order to keep my tank below 80 during the day with the lights on I keep my AC at 70. Also I love the cold.

Most days my tank goes from 72-74 in the morning to 80 in the evenings in the summer. Every day.

Winter time my tank has been as low as 65 with no ill effects.

YMMV

• Like 1

In order to keep my tank below 80 during the day with the lights on I keep my AC at 70. Also I love the cold.

Most days my tank goes from 72-74 in the morning to 80 in the evenings in the summer. Every day.

YMMV

So no heater? I use todo this too but got sceered because of the inconstant numbers. Aqua tek says they never use heaters and don't even check temp because Texas doesn't get cold enough or stay cold enough to cause concern. Looks like your good wade. My ac went out yesterday and it was 90 in my house. Tank stayed at 83. My wife said "I've never been to a fish store that wasn't this hot". Meaning Aquadome. And they seem fine.

Nope, no heater. My MH lights always made it run hot so I needed a chiller. Looking at the graphs on my Apex it looks like it's not got below 76.4 so I guess I'm ok. I'll keep a close eye on it over the next few days. Thanks all for your input.

I've had pink pirdsnest bleach out at 72 degrees but the other acros and Poccillapora were fine. I've also had Teal BTAs bleach out in the mid 60's while Brown BTAs were fine. I prefer to keep my tanks between 78 and 80.

YMMV

wow you have a good a/c system. if i set mine at 76 it runs all day long in the summer. so, mine's at 78 in the day and i have three fans in my office to keep my at or below 80.