Free Anthellia if you can show me how to frag it.

Eel Keeper

Pull it and tear it off from its attachment. I normally have to use my finger nail to help with removal. It is very invasive if you let it get into your rock.

I do enjoy the way the stalk undulates in the currents. Waving Hand Anthellia is a good name description. The species that I had showed some blue/green in the juvenile growth.

Enjoy the hobby,

Patrick

Edited by subsea
  • Like 1

What I have done in the past to frag it is to put a piece of rubble around or near the main colony and allow it to spread to that rock. The smaller pieces can be removed easily and you can still keep your main colony.

If you want to prune the main colony then you can hold a piece in a pair of tweezers and use scissors to cut the base. You can use super glue or a rubberband to attach the cut piece to a new rock and then wait for it to attach. If you use a rubber band then don't put it too tight or you'll cut the base again by accident. It normally takes a week or less to attach. Don't leave the rubber band on longer than you have to or the coral will grow around it and look disfigured.

• Like 1

I had success using a method similar to how you frag zoas. Take a razor blade and aim to cut underneath the colony (ie take off a very thin layer of rock). This way you can superglue immediately and not have to mess with rubber banding.

I had success using a method similar to how you frag zoas. Take a razor blade and aim to cut underneath the colony (ie take off a very thin layer of rock). This way you can superglue immediately and not have to mess with rubber banding.

I agree. I prefer to super glue. Some people aren't comfortable with it because it kills the base if you apply the glue directly to the coral. Taking off a thin layer of rock is very clever.

Edited by Sascha D.