Equipment for classroom tank

etannert

My school, East View High School in Georgetown, is starting an Aquatic Sciences program this year. The school only opened two years ago; this will be our 3rd year, and first time to have seniors, as well as first time to offer this course (it has been offered at our sister school, Georgetown HS, for many years).

I am helping the teacher get set up (I'm a band director, so I'm not teaching this one!). She is new to this particular course and has kept freshwater fish before, but never salt. While the course is not a Marine Biology course, she would like to do a segment on saltwater tanks, and have a tank in the classroom. We are looking at keeping a mid-size FOWLR tank to start off with - maybe a 55g? I will help with cycling and maintenance. They have an RO system already in the science dept, so that will help a lot.

We are not sure yet what all the district will provide in terms of set-up or financing, so I thought I'd see if anyone has anything sitting in the garage they'd like to get rid of. Due to how the district works, we can only make purchases from approved vendors (meaning companies), so at this point we are looking for donations. A list of potential needed items includes:

tank

stand

skimmer

filter (HOB)

pumps - for mixing and for flow

lights - cheap/low output for FOWLR - though we may at some point add some easy softies

sand

live rock

salt

buckets to make/mix water

ATO (eventually)

fish

fish food

basic tests (ammonia, etc.)

Feel free to add ideas! If you have something you want to donate, I'll do my best to come pick it up from you.

Also, thanks to Capt. Obvious, I'll be keeping a classroom tank this year - he gave me his old Fluval Edge with all the fixins! A lot of the band kids already know I keep saltwater tanks, so I hope having a tank in the band office will get the kids interested in the Aquatic Science class and the hobby generally. My coworkers are pretty excited to have something calming around... while listening to music relieves stress, teaching it causes a BUNCH!!!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Emily

I've got some API test kits, and probably some 5 gallon buckets you can have. Use test kits at your own risk... ;)

You might check goodwill for a tank. I've literally seen 50 or so by the one near my house in the past year, everything from pico's to 200+.

First WHAT GOODWILL!!! That being said I noticed when I moved that I have about ten things of buffer and a few extra supplements your welcome to as I downsized. No telling what else I may have for you. Please call or text me, Alan, at: 512-538-3346. No one else please at this is a donation only for the school.

First WHAT GOODWILL!!! That being said I noticed when I moved that I have about ten things of buffer and a few extra supplements your welcome to as I downsized. No telling what else I may have for you. Please call or text me, Alan, at: 512-538-3346. No one else please at this is a donation only for the school.

The oak hill one. I swear they have a tank out there 3 or 4 days a week before they open when I drive by on the way to work. The big one I'm referring to may have even been 300 gallons. It was absolutely massive.

• Like 1

If you secure a 4' tank, I can provide 4 bulb T5 horticulture fixture. Also, If you included macro in your fish tank, I can provide some instant aqua scaping.

Always good to help at this level. I may have some rock that should work for your project. Just give me a call.

Laissez la bonne temps roulez,

Patrick Castille

Mgr, Aquaculture Ranch

Edited by subsea
  • Like 1

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses!! I'll get with y'all who have offered stuff over the next few days.

Patrick, I'll let the teacher know you're nearby... who knows, maybe you can come speak!

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses!! I'll get with y'all who have offered stuff over the next few days.

Patrick, I'll let the teacher know you're nearby... who knows, maybe you can come speak!

Emily,

Depending on the direction of the marine science class, I could sponsor the complete program. Have the teacher get in touch with me to further discuss Aquaculture Ranch involvement.

Happy reefing.

Patrick Castille

Mgr, Aquaculture Ranch

512-514-1446. Home

8907 Bear Creek Drive

Austin, Tx 78737

• Like 1