BRS 2 Part Calcium & Alkalinity ???

SChrisEV

Well, I've fared pretty well over the past 7 months with no Calcium dosing and my coral growth has been good. Recently I'm noticing that my Ca is dropping lower than I'd like between water changes, so more growth or additions to the tank will just make that number go further south. At some point I'll probably look at a calcium reactor, but I'm thinking two part is a good first step, and cheaper, at least in the beginning.

Is the BRS 2 Part Calcium & Alkalinity a good solution, or are there other recommendations?

That's what I currently use. It's cheap and easy to use. I dose 1 minute per day of each part, and it's been keeping steady at ~8dKh & ~400ppm Ca.

I just buy gallon bottles of distilled water from the grocery store and mix directly in those. My dosing pumps attach to hard airline tubes that I pushed through the bottle lids.

I have the BRS 2-part system, but currently just dose kalk in my ATO. I tested yesterday and had Ca @ 480 and dKH @ 9.4. Granted, my coral footprint is very small at this point so the load on the system is small. i imagine I'll have to start using the 2-part once the stock increases to the point that the kalk can't keep up. Kalk is an easy way to start though.

Edited by Wade

Yeah kalk is definitely my preferred method to begin dosing ca and alk, and once you supersaturated it with vinegar and it still can't keep up with daily demand, begin adding two part. Im almost ready to add two part, myself.

I thought about using kalk, I use a lot of top off water each day. I have a fan that blows on the surface of the water to cool my tank, it works well, but I get a lot of evaporation. Do you think I can still use Kalk? Maybe just adjust the amount I have in the ATO? Also if I go down the path of using Kalk for a bit, then do you suggest the BRS Kalk?

Absolutely. Just as long as your ATO adds it very slowly. I use an aqua lifter with a ball valve to dial it back some. Already broke one though after a couple months use so I'm gonna be switching to one of the bigger peristaltic dosing pumps for the job.

Just start with one teaspoon per gallon of ATO and test daily to see how that is keeping up and adjust from there. I started with a low stony load but tons of halimeda and that was good to start. Now I'm at 6 teaspoons per 4 gallons and that's barely keeping up. Bout to increase to 7 teaspoons per 4 gallon.

The max saturation point is 2 teaspoons per gallon. With a bit of vinegar you can dissolve 3 teaspoons per gallon. That should be enough to keep up with a moderate load on medium sized tank.

Bulkreef supply kalk is good. Very high purity. I personally just use Mrs Wages pickling lime from Walmart lol. It's like $2 for a one pound bag. One bag lasts me about a year. Can't beat that as far as a cheap way to maintain calcium and alk

I've read about using Mrs Wages pickling lime, and maybe I over read, I tend to do that, but it seems that it was "easy" to mess up, mix to much etc. The portions you listed to start, one teaspoon per gallon of ATO, is that all you do using Mrs Wages pickling lime? If so, what was I reading, cuz that sounds very simple. :) My decrease in Ca is pretty small right now, my SPS, LPS load seems pretty small still, so I like the idea of using a low cost solution like Kalk and can then plan on a Ca Reactor as time goes on.

I always feel the need to add the disclaimer that I am not an expert but did a fair amount of research before I started dosing.

Really the only thing I read negative about mrs wages is that it is "food grade" not "pharmaceutical grade". Not a lot of specifics can be found to explain the different but in general, mrs wages "may" have more impurities. Which basically means more sediment is gonna settle at the bottom. I read enough success stories of using it, and honestly didn't read any negatives (outside of user error like dumping a gallon in and crashing the tank due to ATO failure, ect). The cost difference is negligible since the bulk reef stuff is so cheap also, but Walmart is a 5 minute drive away and I don't have to wait a week, and pay shipping. I haven't had any problems. Been using it since January and have gone through about a half bag now and it has maintained calcium and alk just fine with no side effects.

I thought I was gonna crash my tank when I started dosing kalk. I was so paranoid. It's kind of idiot proof. If you make gallon sized DIY droppers and add 1 drop per second, really the only way to screw it up is if you knocked over the container accidentally. ATO failure is another option but if you either have a backup float switch to cut the pump, or a ph controller you really can't mess up. Even if you made a fully saturated solution and only needed half strength, with daily tests you'll catch it and its not enough to crash a tank.

I mix it up in a bucket. Let it settle for a day. Siphon or pour off the water down to like 1", and leave the milky precipitate. Use the clear solution to fill your ATO container. Use a slow adding pump and that's it. There is no simpler way to start dosing

By "pour off" I mean into a bucket to keep. That clear stuff is what you dose. It's your lime water

Edited by Bpb