150g Indio-Pacific Biome

Sascha D.

Sorry all, my lungs are threatening to burst through my chest today. I haven't done much with the tank, but I'm continuing dosing.

I think I might see more results with bathing rocks, but I'd like to see how this works.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

So as it turns out I ended up in the hospital for nearly a week. I just got home yesterday. The tank is in surprisingly good shape, except the dinos has gotten worse. I'm going to have to start all over this weekend.

I took these pictures last weekend.

Starry Blenny I got from Niko's two weeks ago. He's adjusting nicely.

post-2552-0-74487100-1422125576_thumb.jp

post-2552-0-48540100-1422125597_thumb.jp

Red Planet

post-2552-0-38698500-1422125634_thumb.jp

Valida? Green and purple base with green polyps

post-2552-0-74120300-1422125616_thumb.jp

Acro - Unknown with green polyps

post-2552-0-23655600-1422125654_thumb.jp

It's been a tough month, but I'll recover. The tank is worse than it was though. I'm not 100% sure what to do about it yet, but I figure I should start at the bottom and work my way up.

1. Clean the skimmer
  2. Test for everything
  3. Filter Bag
  4. Maybe pull out some rock and scrape off what I can
  5. Resume peroxide
  6. Maybe another darkness period - I would like to avoid it though. The corals look stressed enough.
  7. If the peroxide isn't working, then I may buy a CUC to help out compete the nutrients.

Yesterday I decided to jump into the tank and get salty!

• I pulled some undesirable algae. I plan to slowly go macro free in the display.
  • Added a filter sock and then scraped some of the uglier rocks.
  • I cleared the frag racks of all mounts and removed the racks from the tank. After that I cleaned the sand bed of frags and hauled them to the LFS. The racks will go for sale shortly.
  • Lastly, I secured some of the existing rocks, added a few more rocks and mounted all of the frags I want to keep. It looks pretty hot!

Feed me Sascha! I know you put food here.

post-2552-0-43495000-1422392674_thumb.jp

Trumpet

post-2552-0-48019300-1422392691_thumb.jp

Valida

post-2552-0-05815400-1422392711_thumb.jp

Tyree Setosa

post-2552-0-84621000-1422392727_thumb.jp

Rainbow Stylophora

post-2552-0-65305800-1422392748_thumb.jp

Stylophora. Maybe Rainbow? Anybody know? The base is pink and the polyps are purple.

post-2552-0-73624300-1422392824_thumb.jp

Acan

post-2552-0-24890900-1422392769_thumb.jp

Cali Tort. One of my very first SPS. They say they are hard to keep but this one is a soldier!

post-2552-0-88876400-1422392786_thumb.jp

Blue Ricordea

post-2552-0-32186500-1422392806_thumb.jp

Do you think the RTN was a result of a rapid increase of organic matter, or the rapid decrease in oxygenation/ph fluctuation?

I'm not 100% sure because I was on vacation and I can't be certain how fast the degeneration took place. I know that when I left the tank was fine and when I came back a week later this coral and a couple of small frags were bleaching. There was also a mild outbreak of cyano on the sand bed. A few corals I was able to frag and save a piece for future colonies, but two main colonies didn't make it. This large one in particular was half bleached when I got home and fully bleached about a week or so later. It was my favorite coral.

Some corals were unaffected. The Cali Tort, Pocillopora, Montipora Digi and Caps, Birdsnest and all LPS were fine. Some zoa polyps melted and most grew back, but I did lose my Joker Paly and Lemon Heads. All in all I would say less than 10% of the livestock were affected.

Thanks everyone! How do the dinos look? Not too bad I hope. The peroxide doesn't appear to be reducing the amount, but it hasn't been spreading either. If the problem persists by next week then I may look into phosphate remover. After talking with Brian, Lanthanum Chloride looks like a good option. Although I am concerned that I may get some die off in the refugium.

Lanthanum chloride is a good, cheap altenative to removing large amounts of phosphate in a system but to get it down to the smaller concentrations, GFO is best employed.

I think most aim to lower phosphate levels down to 0.1 ppm with lanthanum and from that point, GFO is more effective.

Right now my goal is to eliminate the dinos. Beyond that, the algae growth isn't excessive and I haven't seen a problem with phosphates since replacing the skimmer pump. The dinos aren't spreading so I wonder if the phosphates are tapped out. Generally I would expect to see expansion if there were excess phosphates in the aquarium. It could also be the peroxide.

I definitely do not aim to lower phosphates below 0.1. For the most part, I don't want the added maintenance of keeping an ultra low level. I just want to feed the fish every day and have the tank look beautiful!!! smile.png

More equipment? Did you see where I said I just want to feed the fish and have a beautiful tank? I'm just now resigning to the fact that I need a controller. Haha!

In that case, setup a FOWLR! [emoji13]

Either that or stop hanging out with me... [emoji16]

More equipment? Did you see where I said I just want to feed the fish and have a beautiful tank? I'm just now resigning to the fact that I need a controller. Haha!

In that case, setup a FOWLR! [emoji13]

Either that or stop hanging out with me... [emoji16]

Haha I can't afford to hang out with you! The last time I saw you was in March 2014 and yes I had to look that up. It was when you had the monthly meeting at your house. Still, you make a good point. I shouldn't let all of you high rollers influence me so much!

No kidding! I wish I was around more but this summer/fall was crazy. The market has been so busy that I'm constantly working. Then the holidays come and goes so quick with all the family and friends in town.

Yeah, I'd get a controller and call it a day. Just sit back, watch the tank, and enjoy the peacefulness of assisted stability.