Midas Blenny or Orangethroat Pikeblenny

SChrisEV

So I've been thinking about getting another blenny. The very first fish I added to my tank was a small sailfin that was doing great until I added my Yellow tang. It was scared of it, and over time came out less and less, and eventually died. sad.png So time to try it again.

Any one have any experience with either the Midas:

post-2161-0-76709000-1367527034.jpg

Or Pike Blenny:

post-2161-0-08328700-1367527034.jpg

Or is there another blenny that you'd recommend? I still don't have too may fish in the tank. It's tank mates would be:

Yellow Tang (about 3")

Two Paired, Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish (1.5 ")

Yellow Watchman / tiger postal combo

Potters Angel

Emerald Blenny (read this is actually not a Blenny but a triplefin) He's only out at night hunting.

We have a Midas Blenny, it was one of the first fish that we added. He's a great looking fish and pretty fun to watch. The way he swims is pretty cool, almost eel like. He has a little hole in a rock that he's made his home and you will always find him there unless he's out swimming, which he does pretty often. When he's ready to go back to his hole, he actually swims into it tail first. We really like him and our guests are always saying how cool looking he is.

The midas and the watchman is probably pushing it. They're not the same but both will typically harass and stand their ground with similar shaped / colored fish. I love both fish, but not sure I would risk it.

The midas and the watchman is probably pushing it. They're not the same but both will typically harass and stand their ground with similar shaped / colored fish. I love both fish, but not sure I would risk it.

That's interesting. My Goby is in the holes/caves with the pistol shrimp most of the time or out at the mouth watching/warning the shrimp. Does not seem like they'd fight.

That's interesting. My Goby is in the holes/caves with the pistol shrimp most of the time or out at the mouth watching/warning the shrimp. Does not seem like they'd fight.

i'm guessing it is more of a territorial thing. since it seems like they both look for the same type of homes. and since they both kind of look the same they may see each other as competition and chase each other. but, i'm not very experienced to say the least.

I had both a Randall's/Orange Stripe Shrimp/Prawn Goby (paired with my Tiger Pistol Shrimp) and a Bicolor Blenny for almost two years. They never bothered each other. I did get a Tail Spot Blenny, which I loved, better than the Bicolor. It was a mistake, because the Bicolor harassed the Tail Spot until it went carpet surfing. Now that my Bicolor died, I plan on replacing it with a Tail Spot.

I went with a Midas Blenny. BUT I believe that it is an African Blue Midas. The picture is NOT from my tank, but it looks very similar. Maybe with the different coloration he and the yellow watchman gobie will not have any issues. So far they have not. And so far this has been a great addition to the tank, eating well, and social. He's fun to watch.

post-2161-0-29132500-1367861039_thumb.jp

THANKS AQUADOME!!! Oh they have (at least as of Saturday) a couple other Midas blennies, but I think they are the gold coloration.

• Like 1