Advice on ATO

KKAAY

Just starting to piece together my first "big" tank. It is a 75 gallon and am wanting some feedback on what your opinion is on ATO's or any other important stuff such as lighting, skimmers etc

Thx

I just bought the JBJ ATO from bulk reef supply, easy to setup and works great. I am using a maxi-jet 1200 for the pump, you could probably go smaller if you wanted but the two items together work great.

I have a reef octopus 150 skimmer it works well, started producing within 45 minutes of it being in the sump Definitely go plus one on the skimmer if you decide to use one.

Lights I use T5 HO right now but getting ready to move to Build My LED lights. I have a 90gal and I will be able to use just one 48" bar on my tank instead of 4 T5's

Oh and if you can go bigger on the tank :-)

Just my two cents

I used to have an autotopoff.com ato which worked well for the year and a half I had it. It used float switches which can get stuck in the on it off position. Same with jbj. I currently use the tunze osmilator and it uses and optical eye to sence the water level. Alot less room for error.

I use have found ASM skimmers to work very well in my large tanks.

I was a little worried when I opened the JBJ and saw the floats but I imagine if I keep the one in my sump clean I should be ok, I hope, not to mention the Tunze is a but pricey. Juiceman I see you have Build My LED lights, are you happy with them?

I use the jbj ato and an aqualifter pump. As you will read, float switches will get stuck eventually, but if you PLAN for that it won't be an issue. Just make sure to give them an vinegar bath once in a while to dissolve any calcium buildup/tube worms ect and its fine.

I used to use a mj1200 with mine but it would fill so fast and for some reason that was causing my switches to not register their activity and I kept over filling. Once I started dosing kalkwasser as my topoff water I had to get a pump that will trickle, hence the aqualifter. I couldn't afford an actual dosing pump. The aqualifter pump is such a slow flowing pump that now my float switches are very sensitive and will come on/off about every 20 minutes with even a millimeter of water level change.

If you can find a used Tunze Osmolator it's the way to go. Includes a pump and double float switch, one of which is optical. Great product.

As far as skimmers go, I would either find a brand name used one here or at one of the LFS's, which is fairly common. Otherwise there is a knockoff brand on ebay called SCA. You wont find a better deal than those, but make sure to buy a 110V version and not some weird non-US 50hz version that float around a lot.

As far as lighting goes, what sort of coral are you interested in and what sort of budget are you planning?

Do you plan on getting a controller? IMO this effects your other choices in equipment. It is a significant investment, but it's benefits are so worth it.<br /><br />An ATO will need something to "control" sensing the float valve(s), and turning on your pump. You could go with a simple relay, but there's no other smarts per se. With a controller I can add additional control when the ATO pump actually runs, eg off when I'm servicing the tank, off when there's too much water in the sump, off (and email me) when the ATO jug is empty, etc.<br /><br />I purchased my ATO parts thru AutoTopOff.com, who's local btw. My low sensing float valve has been in service for over 4 years with no issue.

I use an Apex controller checking pH (limewater/kalkwasser pH about 12) and float switches, a pair of 5g buckets and a small pump. The float switches and pump are from autotopoff.com for little money. For long absences like last week, I throw in a 44g BRUTE bucket and mix my kalkwasser topoff in that.

Tunze Osmolator :) You can even get the Tunze Nano Osmolator, with the switched outlet upgrade, and use a bigger pump for larger tanks. You'll have to disable the 14 second safety mechanism though. (easy!)

I have an older Euroreef skimmer, it's rated for 200 gallons on our 150.

Switched over to LED's at the first of the year. They were build by the famous Timfish. I also designed an LED fixture for our 10 gallon zoagarden through BuildmyLED's website. This is the best bang for your buck in my opinion.

BuildmyLeds

I use the JBJ auto top off. It's been in operation for over 4 years with no problems. If interested I have a second one available. Just hit me with a PM.

Dave-

Plan for failure. Examine your setup look at what will happen if each of the components fail. I always make sure if a sensor or other piece of equipment fails I will not end up with water on the floor.

• Like 1

Plan for failure. Examine your setup look at what will happen if each of the components fail. I always make sure if a sensor or other piece of equipment fails I will not end up with water on the floor.

So you make sure you don't have more water in your ATO than your sump can hold?