Vacation dilemma

Wade

Gonna be out of town for two weeks. We've got house sitters so keeping the fish fed won't be an issue. The skimmer cup! Now there's an issue. The only thing I don't like about my SWC skimmer is that the adjustment knob is right next to the cup. If I happen to bump it while cleanng the cup, I'm there to dial it back in. House sitters? Not so much. So here's the question: Turn the skimmer off for two weeks or let it run without cleaning it for two weeks? I don't think it will overflow at it's current setting, but the neck of the cup is sure going to be nasty. What would you do?

yeah there's a hole that's plugged in the bottom of the cup. I forgot it was there unti you mentioned it. I can run it to a gallon water jug. Cool. Thanks man.

remote collection cup for sure, or maybe cheap super glue to put a little "tack weld" and secure the dial knob while your gone so they can not bump it at all. but removing that might require acetone, I've done it before with my tunze before modding it. Barely any acetone on a paper towel will eat the glue off and evap so fast it didnt touch my water at all.

If you do a remote cup make sure it can't overflow or put it in a bucket or tub or something. I had a major spill due to an overflowed external collection cup. Otherwise I would just let it be, adjust it so you're skimming a little lighter than normal just in case, but you don't want someone not familiar with running a reef tank messing with it.

Don't make any major system changes like turning off a skimmer before you leave...

Making any major changes right before a trip has burned me a few times. Heck, even minor ones like a big water change have gotten me (forgot to plug ATO pump back in after it). Doh!

Sounds like the tube from the collection cup is your solution.

You think turning your little skimmer off for 2 weeks is going to cause a major disaster? I would be much more afraid of what leaving it on could do.

I never said major disaster. But rule of thumb by most hobbyist is to not make large changes before going on extended vacation, I personally have my skimmer in my sump so worst that would happen is it overflows and isn't skimming but still oxygenating my water. It won't flood anything because it just dumps right back into the sump? What scares you about leaving a skimmer on?

My skimmer is also in my sump. I'm going to leave it on and run a tube to an external container. I'll dial it back a bit too so the worst that happens is it doesn't skim all that well, but continues to oxyginate the water. Thanks all for your suggestions.

My skimmer is also in my sump. I'm going to leave it on and run a tube to an external container. I'll dial it back a bit too so the worst that happens is it doesn't skim all that well, but continues to oxyginate the water. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Keep in mind if you go to remote container, if possible while on vacation leave that container in the sump also. Would hate to hear you put it to a remote container and it overflowed out of the remote container. (Saw it happen, and then had to clean 2 inches of water out of a warehouse, 200 gallons of SW is nasty.)

Keep in mind if you go to remote container, if possible while on vacation leave that container in the sump also. Would hate to hear you put it to a remote container and it overflowed out of the remote container. (Saw it happen, and then had to clean 2 inches of water out of a warehouse, 200 gallons of SW is nasty.)

That's what I did a few months back as well. Not that much volume but enough to ruin some things. I would put the collection cup in a tub or bucket or make it high enough it can't continuously overflow.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well we got back home from our first two-week vacation last night. Everything is still living, but the tank is a mess. I think the skimmer stopped skimming after it got a good slime-coat in the tube or maybe I had it dialed back too much. Other than a 20% water change with a substrate vacuum for good measure, what's my best course of action? Just leave it to the snails or what? Suggestions?

post-1837-0-07437500-1366579000_thumb.jp

post-1837-0-30555900-1366579009_thumb.jp