Noob zoa question

Wade

What do yuo all do with your zoa frags? They're glued to these little mushroom ceramic things that don't really fit anywhere securley, especially where you want them to be which means snails and crabs are constantly upending them. Do you preety much just have to make do as best you can until they overpopulate the base they're on? Gonna cook me some snails.

i had the same problem i have over 20 zoa frags that were very happy in my sand bed, until my hermits roll them upside down or sideways. onet thought i had was to buy a bunch of very small hermits that cannot lift the frag plugs to replace the big ones i have. one thing i did that worked well is to grind most of the plug off so i could still have some plug left to glue on to the rock. also i glue the frags side to side so they could not move them, that worked good. ultimately i bought a magnetic frag rock from Mitch and was able to keep the hermits away from my zoas. if youre not ready to glue them on to the rockscape i suggest glueing the frag plugs to eachother to form a sort of zoa trainsmile.png they snap apart easily when youre ready to move them

hope this helps good luck

Thanks all. The answer to this question is obviously yes since you're doing it, but does the glue stick well to the wet rock? Also, what kind and where are you getting your glue?

I go to dollar general and get super glue GEL. You can use any super glue but it must say gel on the package or it won't work. Also watch your fish, there is always lil glue bubbles that come up and my fish like to try and eat them

Just in case it wasn't clear, you can use the super glue under water, you don't have to pull the rock out, although that is easier! Just glob it on the coral, plug, whatever, then put it under water and hold in place, wherever you want it, until it holds.

• Like 2

Thanks Kim! I'm glad you added that because I was all set to pull out the a piece of rock and dab it with a towel to dry it a bit. Seriously. A frag noob I be.

When I place frags, If I have some aqua putty I make a small ball, then put glue on the bottom of the ffrag, press the ball on then put glue on the ball and then press in place inside the tank. Probably overkill but works really great. like stated above, get gel... the liquid just doesnt work

I agree as well with gel. But I dont use frag plugs any more. After reading about a lot of phosphate leaching from them, and witnessing hair algae growing on one I changed plugs. Now I use sea cookies. Dirt cheap and easy to cut down to size. If you need the actual plug, I just cut a 1/2" piece of rigid tubing (or soft) and glue it to the base of the sea cookie and pop it into place. If you ever want to frag the coral, all you need is some needle nose pliers. Crack the sea cookie up into pieces, and use a sharp blade for clean up work.

Now I use sea cookies. Dirt cheap and easy to cut down to size. If you need the actual plug, I just cut a 1/2" piece of rigid tubing (or soft) and glue it to the base of the sea cookie and pop it into place. If you ever want to frag the coral, all you need is some needle nose pliers. Crack the sea cookie up into pieces, and use a sharp blade for clean up work.

What are sea cookies?

I have some small zoas and rics that I got on plugs. I hate the plugs, too. Can I scrape the zoas/rics off without hurting them?

I wont hurt them per-say, but they'll be annoyed by it. What I generally do is use a sharp x-acto (fresh blade) and filet them off the plug. Then I give them a dip in Coral-RX/Lugols (whichever) and glue them back onto my sea cookies (or rock!). Just try and keep the knife as close to the plug as possible. And go slow and gentle, you don't want to just slice them off :)

• Like 1

tweezer work best for me on zoas i just get the edge of the zoa skin and peel up slowly and work it around till its off. no damage and no more plug. on rics i grind most of the plug off with a dremmel because ive cut some up trying to peel them i feel its more humane to keep some of the plug its attached to. but its not enough left to be visible

• Like 1

It's tough to do with zoas. You gotta have a super sharp blade and be real patient. Once you manage to get a corner up you can usually just peel the whole frag right off easily. I've butchered several zoas and some GSP in failed attempts to do this though. Easier said than done. If its something super glued to the frag plug that's a bonus. Usually with a razor blade you can just pop the super glue chunk right off and the frag will be none the wiser

• 2 weeks later...

+1

Additionally, if your sandbed plugs keep getting up-ended, you can take a plastic washer thats a bit bigger than your plug base, glue it to the bottom, and wiggle the plug back into the sand. The flat part at the bottom will act as an anchor.

Wear your gloves for this process

You can usually pop the base of the plug off with a pair of dikes and then take the flat part and glue it on a disc or rock or whatever you want. Just get a little bit of the base in the dikes, not the whole thing, and pop it off. You can also use a saw like the gryphon diamond band saw to make precision cuts anyway you want but that is not cheap.