Should I swtich salts or stay consistant? Opinions, experiences?

Juiceman

I've used Kent's Salt since my first tank. I've about to be out and just wondering from other SPS keepers if I should check out Red Sea, or Instant Ocean or any others.

Or if I should stick with what I have already been using?

What has prompted you to think about changing? IO Reef Crystals is all I have used based on a fellow reefer's recommendation when I started my first tank. It seems to be a good salt it just has a low amount of potassium which I now have to dose to keep up with my tank's demand.

Everyone wants to switch smile.png I'm in the process of switching from seachem salinity to RCSP. I'm ignoring DKR's sage advice "Dance with who brung ya"

Ya know, your comments in the other thread are one of the reasons I switched from IORC to salinity. Ah well, one upgrade at a time. smile.png

Haha, it's a really nice salt (and like i said I LOVE the bucket), but it's so expensive locally! I have had zero issues with it, but things are going pretty well so I figured I needed to screw things up a bit.

I've been using Instant Ocean forever. I've tried IO Reef Crystals and Coralife a couple of times when the LFS ran out of IO and didn't see any difference so I've stayed with IO. I would not expect in typical systems for any salt mix to keep up with the demand on alkalinity and calcium and some type of supplement would be needed.

I've been using Instant Ocean forever. I've tried IO Reef Crystals and Coralife a couple of times when the LFS ran out of IO and didn't see any difference so I've stayed with IO. I would not expect in typical systems for any salt mix to keep up with the demand on alkalinity and calcium and some type of supplement would be needed.

Thanks tim smile.png with that said, I'll ask my GF use her employee discount at petsmart and bring home a bucket of IO to test out

Edited by (Bio)³

What has prompted you to think about changing? IO Reef Crystals is all I have used based on a fellow reefer's recommendation when I started my first tank. It seems to be a good salt it just has a low amount of potassium which I now have to dose to keep up with my tank's demand.

Nothing is necessarily prompting a change per say, I'm just wondering if i'm missing anything. I try to keep my tank and natural saltwater levels, and Kent's ALK is super high when mixed so I'm wondering if I should switch to a more natural leveled one since I need more anyway.