GSP killing my monti cap?

Robb in Austin

Got an area of my Monti cap that is now white. It's also very close to some GSP. The rest of the Monti looks fine, my other SPS look fine. Any one heard of GSP killing off SPS? Not via growing over it, but like stinging it.

The other thing I can think of is STN, but again my other SPS and the rest of the Monti looks fine.

Should I try to break off the area affected?

I have observed that the star polyps nearest to a neighboring coral start to protrude spikes from the usual polyp "fronds". I don't know if these have stinging potential but I have seen it kill other corals that it touches. So yes, the cheap, weed-like coral can take a toll on neighboring corals... at least what I have observed.

-Ty

I've had it sting a couple different monti caps (orange, purple and green with blue polyps), and a birdsnest. It can also choke off kenya trees but they seem to be able to keep it at bay by shedding their outer skin. Plus it's not such a bad thing to have fewer kenya trees...