Is my phosphate too high to add a new coral?

Wade

I've been working on getting my tank parameters down to levels they need to be to add my first coral, Here's what I've got this morning before a 20% water change:

phosphate: .08

pH: 7.8

salinity: 1.024

nitrate: 0 ppm

calcium: 325 ppm

alkalinity: 11.2

I would like to start with a zoa or a softie like a frogspawn or an anemone of some sort. Maybe a bta. What do you all think?

Phosphates are a little high, I try to keep mine less than .03. Calcium is low as well, shoot for 380-450ppm and keep it stable. You may want to check your fresh made saltwater parameters. Some salts are known for having random parameters. Beware! I would start of with a cheap frag of zoas or softy, once you get the parameters adjusted. Plenty of freebies on here.

Good luck and happy reefing!

Thanks for the info. I just added a GFO reactor from BRS about 6 weeks ago which has helped to bring the phosphate level down to where it is. I may be overfeeding my fish i guess. I switched to New Life Spectrum Thera + A sinking pellets about a month ago. I've got 4 fish and I usually only feed once a day since I leave early for work. I throw in about 20 pellets I guess and they all get eaten. Not sure if that's too much or ok. Is there anything else that can be done for phosphate other than a GFO filter?

If your tank has algae growing everywhere then I would hold off on adding anything until it starts receding. I'd also add more CUCs to your tank to eat any uneaten food/algae. I'd also check out this coming club meeting where you can get several freebie corals and well as raffle prizes.

I ran my tank for 7 years with phosphates around 0.08. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would recommend waiting on the anemone however, until your tank is more established.

You only really need your phosphates around 0.032 (natural seawater) or lower if you plan to keep SPS, IMO.

If you aren't keeping them, why bother spending all that extra money keeping the water so clean for corals (most softies and LPS) that don't really need it. They may even enjoy the higher phosphates and nitrates anyways.

-Ty

I live in TN so unfortunately I will not be able to make it to the club meeting. You have no idea how badly I wish I could. Just got back from a disappointing trip to my LFS. Nothing good to buy coral wise so i ended up with a fire shrimp and a six-line wrasse. Many of the frags in the display tanks had algae on them and the display tank just didn't look that clean. Guess I'm just going to have to order what I want from LiveAquaria or Cultivated Reef since they both come highly recommended. I think a couple of zoas to start will be fine.

Callahan is in Nashville. And, it's a very long state... Wade is in East TN (I think?) which is 3-4 hrs from Callahan. TN is very long and skinny, 10 hrs from one side to the other.

I've heard of people driving from sa to Dallas for frags. 3-4 hours is doable!

I would drive to Nashville just to see Callahan's tank! Nashville is about 3.5 hours from me so it's doable. You all have no idea how much I appreciate your advice. My tank has been up and running since 2002. Unfortunately, I did not discover ARC until a year or so ago and struggled with my tank until then. Ignorance and bad advice led me through stages on frustration, anger, and neglect when I more or less just gave up on it. Through all that, one of my original fish has somehow lived (my clown). My wife challenged me to more or less **** or get off the pot. I started doing a lot of research on the web and I've found a renewed sense of hope through the education and advice I've received from you folks. No other forum I found has the sense of community and level of expertise that you all have. It's now in the best condition its ever has been and I no longer worry about how long something will live after I introduce it to the tank (ok, maybe a little. Old habits die hard). Many hours and dollars over the past year and now I actually show off my tank instead of trying to hide it. You guys are the best! Truly.

• Like 2

So when I get my frags in the mail on Wednesday, do you usually just put the whole plug in the tank or do you bust it off and glue it where you want it? I guess you can do it either way but I'm curious as to what most folks do. Also, where in the tank is optimal to start them? Low and out of the flow and light, medium flow with moderate light, high on the rock with medium flow and bright light, etc.?